Stainless steel bushing?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthulin

Reaction score
In reference to the cylinder pivot shaft on an oscillating steam engine, instead of a stainless shaft in a brass (or bronze) bushing, why not a brass shaft in a stainless bushing?

I get that the two metals should be different to avoid galling, but does it matter which piece is which :shrug:

I know its a little off topic, but yesterday I stripped an old hard drive to scavenge some powerful magnets and the head assembly had a pair of small profile ball-bearings with a i/d of about 6 mm and o/d 10 mm., no bigger than a regular bushing. :)

Noitoen said:
I know its a little off topic, but yesterday I stripped an old hard drive to scavenge some powerful magnets and the head assembly had a pair of small profile ball-bearings with a i/d of about 6 mm and o/d 10 mm., no bigger than a regular bushing. :)

hese are instrument bearings - they an be very small indeed - http://www.dynaroll.com/catalog/bushings.htm

jthulin, "but does it matter which piece is which" I say if that's what you have then go with it. It's YOUR work of art. One suggestion, on my engines in progress, the block is 3/4" thick, i used two bushings 1/8" long pressed in from either end. This cuts way back on surface contact and friction.

Not a good idea to use bearing on an application that doesn't revolve less than one revolution.
They want to dig a groove over time.

Noitoen said:

I use them for my model autogyro rotor head bearings ;D

Latest posts

Back