spring mandrel chart

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jixxerbill

Reaction score
Does anyone have a chart that helps at guessing the size of mandrel needed to end up with a certain id for making a spring ?? I found one but when i try to enter the info it just shuts down... It was probably a virus with it when i downloaded it, im famous for getting viruses..Thanks in advance Bill

Last edited:
jixxerbill, there is some spring info in this utility, I have not yet used it tho.

Model Engineers Utilities, by Alan J Munday V 1.8.0

you will have to google it, lots of good stuff included.

Dave

It depends on the type of spring material you'll be using and the manufacturer. In short, it's a crap shoot for the home hobbyist. A spring shop can test the material it receives by making a few tests and program the machine to compensate for spring-back after winding. As a hobbyist you'll need to wind a small spring around a wood dowel about the size of the spring you want to make. Then check the amount of spring-back and use that information to calculate your mandrel size. This is required every time you receive new spring making material even if it's from the same manufacturer as even small changes in material will produce differing results. Also if you order several coils or wire check the batch numbers on the packages as a different batch number will cause a change in spring-back when switching from one package to another package with a different batch number.

Jixerbill--This is a timely post, as I am about to wind a pair of tension springs for the governor on my Odds and ends engine. This is covered on page 83 I think of my kerzel engine build, and I'm pretty sure I give a link there to the original spring winding thread by Deanofid. ----Brian
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f25/springs-things-7552/

Last edited:
Look in MACHINERYS HANDBOOK. There is a table there that relates OD, ID and wire size and mandrel dia. I cant give a page number ref because it will depend on which edition you have.

You do have a Handbook, dont you? That has everything you ever needed to know about machining. Its so important Gersterner even built that special size drawer in the center of its toolboxes to hold it.

Look in MACHINERYS HANDBOOK. There is a table there that relates OD, ID and wire size and mandrel dia. I cant give a page number ref because it will depend on which edition you have.

You do have a Handbook, dont you? That has everything you ever needed to know about machining. Its so important Gersterner even built that special size drawer in the center of its toolboxes to hold it.

Yes i have 3 of them i think, but the latest one i have is 19, Your version must be updated more than mine.. The one i have dont have very small mandrel sizes in it.. they must have put more info in the one you have.. I have no idea who Gersterner is so him building a special toolbox dont get me any closer to getting the right size mandrel i need..

Latest posts

Back