Something different in the issue of safety

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteski

Reaction score
The issue of always wearing safety glasses when doing machining and not wearing rings, watches etc is something that is just common sense. How many times do we have a ache or pain that lasts for a week or so and think nothing of it? Well last week that happened to me, finally going to the doctor thinking I had pulled a muscle in my right leg. "WRONG" Four hours and an ultrasound later I was told that a blood clot had formed in my upper right thigh. Standing on concrete floors 10 hours a day maybe didn't help either. I now have spent the last 6 days giving myself blood thinner shots in the stomach and taking Warfrin to thin out the clot, also just walking is really painful. Maybe another 2 weeks before I am able to go back to work. NO I am not crazy but I miss going to work, daytime t.v. really sucks. I guess all I wanted to say was don't ignore unexplained pain in legs or arms. Blood clots can move and can kill, I got lucky with 2 kids and a wife who just nag enough to get me to go to the doctor even if I don't want to. This time they may well have saved my life, don't ignore the aches get them checked out, life is too short and there are many engines to be built. Keep your tooling sharp!!!!! Peteski

Just before christmas our Coppersmith at work had a 'migraine', pins and needles and seemed confused. Fortunately the carpenter in the adjacenet workshop insisted he go to sickbay who rushed him to the local Infirmary. It turned out he'd had a stroke at 31. The stroke ward at the hospital got on it straight away with the correct meds and he's now in Rehab.

I think the bottom line is no matter how trivial an ache or whatever may be, if it's new and persistant get it checked out.

Al

Just to stress what Al has posted, on one of "our" sites on this side of the pond, a set of tell tale markers have been published to be able to recognise the symptoms of a suspected stroke. It would appear that if the medics can get the victim in less than three hours from the initial attack, it's possible that long term effects can be reduced. What prompted the posting was the fact that a woman who was attending a BBQwas seen to "trip"and fall down. She immediately got up and laughed off the fact and put it down to new shoes and despite being told to got to the ER of the local hospital, declined so as not to cause a fuss. Some hours later, she was rushed to the ER, but sadly died "due to a heart attack induced by a recent stroke."
OK down to the nitty gritty, how to recognise. Fortunately the test is easy to remember by the use of the first three letters of the word STROKE.
S... get the patient to SMILE.
T... get them to TALK... ask for a coherent memory statement.
R... get them to RAISE both arms.
Any problems with ANY of the above should trigger an IMMEDIATE medical emergency, THE FIRST THREE HOURS ARE CRUCIAL.
Please note, I claim NO ORIGINALITY for this posting and am mearly repeating it in good faith cos of Al's posting.
Just as a post script, six years ago, after a good Sunday lunch, I sat watching the Hungarian F1 GP, enjoying a customary apree lunch cig. Had to get an indigestion tablet cos I thought I'd put too much English mustard on my roast beef, and the pain went away. Two days later, the same pain came back and after being sent to the hospital by my doctor was informed I was suffering a heart attack, and that I'd already had a recent one. They haven't had to hack into me yet due to being able to change my lifestyle and being permanently on pills. They caught it early enough DESPITE my own bl**dy stupidity of not checking on the Sunday. In these circumstances, you realise you're NOT invincible, and the old adage "Oh I'm fine" is a load of bull*hit. GET IT CHECKED.
Luv to all, Ian.

Interesting thoughts.

If our lathe gets a nick on a slide way we are instantly dressing it smooth.
If those ways are dry, we're applauded at our own absent mindedness.
If you hear an unfamiliar noise, you are immediately investigating it.

When something isn't quite right in our selves's, the first thought is
normally, "It will go away in time..." ???

Rick

Latest posts

Back