Solar Thermal Steam-Powered Turbine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iansdodge

Hello
I am fascinated by the whole solar thermal power plant idea. In fact I plan on getting my bachelor's in engineering so I can research and work on ideas like this. Can anyone help guide my studies so I can find out how to build and design a system like this, or at least tell me what specific kind of generator or turbine I should be studying?

Some things I want to do are:

-build a parabolic trough/dish to focus sunlight
-build a steam turbine
-build a generator
-understand the physical principles involved in this kind of system as well as produce a tangible demonstration of these principles

If anyone has any suggestions on areas that I should research, please let me know.
I live in Arizona where there is plenty of sunlight, so I would like to use it as an asset.

Thanks

Ian,

You have to be very careful asking such a lot for a first hit. Especially since you give almost no information about yourself.

There are many people on the WWW asking about the things that you want to achieve, and a lot of it is people trying to get free development information from a mass group such as ourselves, even down to trying to get the members to make the prototype parts (I have had a few of them myself). Rather than paying for development costs, they gather the general knowledge of all the members. Then, when the information and unique ideas have been retrieved, they disappear and set up production of whatever wonderful idea they asked about.

I personally have been approached many times by such people, and it has been tried on this site before, so as you will realise that a few of the members including myself, are very wary of such hi tech and direct questions.

I am no way suggesting that you are such a person, you might be perfectly genuine. But you must realise that nearly being stung a few times, can get people to withdraw into their shell at such a request.

But on the other hand, if you are such a person, a nice fat wad of readies would certainly be appreciated.

John

John
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who gets the requests to do free product development. I've had to adopt a similar stance. It happens every time there is a spike in fuel prices. Y2k had me getting these inquiries on literally a daily basis.

The other one that puts a bug in my bustle is when high school or college students write, not requesting, but practically demanding that I do their leg work for some steam related research project. I had one college kid (a senior no less) who suggested it was "my duty" (his choice of words) to provide him with a $700.00 steam turbine, at no cost, and then he wanted me to provide detailed documentation on all the required esoteric data for his high tech project. I finally had to get a bit harsh with him and that is when I learned he had just quit school, but was still demanding I send the engine anyway. Now...you just know that's what happened....right? (evil grin)

Later, he called the company owner and complained that I had been rude to him and still tried to secure the engine for free. Nope... it only got him laughed at...LOL.

As much as I enjoy sharing information and helping others, I feel no remorse in telling someone to do their own research and product development.

Steve

ian
the guys make some interesting points . I suggest you post an intro in the welcome section.
secondly steam technology and electric generation have been in use for years you may want to start the old fashioned way and dig into some books in a library also older 1900s technology books are available for download on the web.
If you are legit and patient and become part of the group here you will probably get all the help you can handle.
Tin

Thanks Falcon. My mistake! I am new to the whole forum thing, period. I guess I will just keep googling.

I'm just a college student trying to get pointed in the right direction here. And no, I don't have to write a paper about any of this -- it's all purely to serve my own curiosity.. I'm not trying to make any kind of "product".. I'm just interested in the energy crisis.

Ian
here is a site you may want to check out they have kits to build a dynamo a pre-machined kit is $90 one you machine is half of that.
PMresearch
ps the older 1900s books and reprints should have insrusctions on winding building a dynamo.
Tin

Some things I want to do are:
-understand the physical principles involved in this kind of system as well as produce a tangible demonstration of these principles
Used text books are pretty cheap look for books on physics and mechanics , machine design,
Tin

Back