So you think you have it all.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's funny! :D

Chuck

John, did they ever send you to the ironmongers to buy one of those items?, if they did I bet you didn't fall for it!, what about the "tartan spray" or the "long weight"....Giles

I particularly like the elastic tape measure and have ordered two. My fear is that with frequent use, the elasticity will start to fail rendering the tool useless, hence the need for a backup. I'll keep this group informed as to its accuracy especially in those machining operations that require +/- 0.001". Oh geez, I forgot to ask the guy if the tape is calibrated in thousandths! Oh well, I paid my money I'll take my chances. :D

Don't worry Philjoe, it is self calibrating, both metric and imperial.

Giles, on my apprenticeship I waited over an hour for a backwards cutting hacksaw blade. They couldn't find one in the stores. It only ever happens the once.

John

John,I have also to admit to having being "caught" ,just the once, in a workshop restoring 1920's Sunbeams, I was doing the wooden body framing ,and Willy, the son, asked me to go into the machine shop to get the "struggle weight" which turned out to be a great chunk of 4" steel bar, that must have weighed 100lb's or more! and on returning I was greeted by raucous laughter...mmmm!, by the way, these guys are incredible!, I still see them often, they also make 3 litre sunbeam engines with superchargers from scratch!, obviously with castings that they get made, but the workshop is the biggest mess you've ever seen!, I must remember to take some pics when I go back to the UK ,and post them ,it's quite something!, there could even be some long dead machinist lying behind a lathe somewhere!...Giles

Ha, grinder sparks.

We used to send the newbies to a certain welder with a 5 gallon bucket for sparks. He would spray them down with sparks as long as they would stand still.

We sent a new industrial engineer to the tool crib for some conrod once to weld some anchors to the concrete while moving a machine, thats was fun.

Let hear some more of the new guy jokes.

Brian

te_gui said:
Ha, grinder sparks.

We used to send the newbies to a certain welder with a 5 gallon bucket for sparks. He would spray them down with sparks as long as they would stand still.

We sent a new industrial engineer to the tool crib for some conrod once to weld some anchors to the concrete while moving a machine, thats was fun.

Let hear some more of the new guy jokes.

Brian

every time i see a new swapper cleaning a lathe that alot of bearing bronze was turned on, i do the whole " Hey dumbass, make your life easier and go find the bronze magnet!"

when i was in avation mech school we sent a few guys too the tool crib for a bucket of prop wash ya know to clean the propellers ;D

When I worked at the foundry we would send the new grinder kids to get a "metal stretcher".

The mill-writes would give than this big heavy chain hoist and we would have them pack it around from place to place till they figured out whats going on.

We did get a few to run around looking for a bucket of steam, that was a riot.

Try ordering 20' of fallopian tubing:O) That will have the parts guy calling everyone he knows trying to get some;O)

I'll sometimes order hollow shaft or solid tubing. The saw guy always comes and askes where it is:O) I tell him I'm to busy and that's what he's being paid for:O)

My buddy sent a guy after some screw threads and it backfired on him. The guy came back with $75 worth of Helicoil's:O)

A new guy will ask where something is kept and we'll tell him it's in the basement. Just to see how long he'll wander around looking for the door to the basement:O)

Latest posts

Back