Small socket wrenches

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart3

Reaction score
Hex socket wrenches made from socket head cap screws.
Had posted this before on another forum. Know using socket head cap screws for wrench use has been posted here before. Just maybe a little different ideas here.

Handles are ¼ hex stock, which works good. Don't roll on table easily and a ¼ inch nut driver can be used for wrench extension.
Number system for the wrench sizes is:
One row of dots = 1/64th of an inch.
One narrow groove = 1/32nd of a inch
Two narrow grooves together = 1/16th of an inch.
Two pairs of narrow grooves together = 1/8th of an inch.

Hexsocket.jpg

Hexsocketwrenches.jpg

Flexible shaft wrenches for those hard to get at places. Not strong enough for final tightening or breaking loose. Has saved me much frustration and time when working on little nuts or bolts in those hard to get at places.

Flexible steel cable like used in steel fishing line leaders works good. They do need shrink tubing put over them to keep from unwinding the lay when going the wrong direction.

Care is needed in silver soldering the socket onto the flex cable. Drill hole only big enough to get cable through. Mash the strands out inside socket some.

Clamp something on cable next to socket like copper for a heat sink. This is to prevent solder traveling up the cable and making it solid. Drill a fairly long hole in handle for the cable to slide in, this will be held by Loctite or epoxy.

Before putting handle on and after silver soldering socket on, slide some shrink tube, like used in electronics. Heat the shrink tube onto the cable that will be between the handle and socket.

Flexwrenches1.jpg

Flexwrenches2.jpg

Flexwrenches3.jpg

Flexwrenches4.jpg

:big: :bow: There are pretty slick, and a great idea :bow: :big:

Cracking Idea
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks for sharing that ones filed away.

Stew

Gary,
What a neat idea. Thanks. I've got a spot right now that I need a flexible one for.
Dennis

Gary,

Bloody Brilliant :bow: :bow: - You can have a holiday next Sunday. ::)

Seriously, Thanks. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

What a great idea! Thanks for the pics and write-up.

Dean

Oh Outstanding! BRAVO! Gary. A superb idea and an answer to an upcoming problem I was going to encounter. :bow:

Bc1
Jim

Latest posts

Back