Single size radius groving tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
LOL...not real sure what to call this tool so the subject line is my best guess. This is a very close knock off to what Mcgyver used to make his bending dies. Oh..yea...I will be posting a build on bending dies in this section as I get the parts made up. Anyway here is my version of the tool thingy that cuts a radius on your lathe.

I started out with a piece of 5/8ths drill rod then milled all 4 sides to give me flats. Then I set the part to approx. 15 degrees and drilled, reamed to 1/4" dia.

reaming-1.jpg

Next I rotated the part 90 degrees and cut a slot. After cutting the slot I drilled and taped for a clamp screw.
slitting.jpg

Here is the new lathe tool in a holder I built about 5 years ago. I think this holder is probably the 5th project I had completed.
latheradiustool.jpg

Here are a couple of action shots. I was really pleased with the way this cut my aluminum die. Not sure how well it's going to work on mild steel.
lathetoolaction2.jpg

And here you see the tool and the die..:)))
lathetoolaction.jpg

dielathetool.jpg

The bit was ground with about 7 degrees back rake on aluminum I didn't have any chatter at all...just a nice clean finish. ;D ;D

Happy New Year all...

Bob

Nice job!

If you get tired of calling it a "single size radius groving tool" you can opt for a "tangential form tool".

Happy New Year!

BW

Nice job! I invested in a set of square collets that are very handy to use. I'll probably be adding one of these soon to my toolbox. Thanks for the info.

I'm making a vise stop and will be posting that soon. I have the arms cut out.

Wes

Bob,

I don't want to demean your efforts at all.

But having that forwards rake on the round cutting tool will in fact give you an elliptical shaped groove, instead of round. This tool you have here should be great for getting a good outside finish on a part.

To get a true round as required for the formers of a tube bender would require a totally vertical tool bit, with top rake as you have, but for brass, just totally flat.

For doing precision grooves you would do better making a button (profile) tool.

John

John your right...I just checked and it is as you has stated.....elliptical shaped...:LOL...I just shouldn't have done anything yesterday..:))...well I am learning and having members like you to help us along is greatly appreciated....Thank you!

Not sure if I will get back to the shop today or not. We got 9" of very wet snow last night and both drives are plugged full. After I finish my morning coffee I am off to fire up the tractor and get things cleared out.

Happy New Year
Bob

Well I corrected the forming tool as John pointed out and thought I better get around to posting the pics of the correct way to do this.

Here is the tool. I just turned the part around and drilled then slotted the other end.

dielathetoolcorrrect.jpg

Here is an action shot.

latheradiustoolcorrect.jpg

My 1/4" tubing fits nicely in the die now. ;D

Thanks again John!

Nice one Bob, and you're welcome, anytime.
In fact the same holder will do for all your sizes up to the size you have, just turn your silver steel bit to whatever diameter you want, but make sure you turn it down far enough to leave clearance underneath the part so it doesn't catch.
I also see you have the 5C square and hex mounting blocks kit, best thing since sliced bread, saves having to drag the RT out whenever you need to do a quick knock up of something with 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 sides on it.

John

Thank you John. Your right about the tool holder. Now as the need arises I can use the same holder for radius's under 1/4". Actually I might be able to do over 1/4" just turn down one end to slide in the hole on the cutter holder. But then again maybe there won't be room....have to think about that one.

You know I bought that 5C square and hex holder set about 5 years ago and didn't use them much. Now it seems I have them out all the time. It sure speeds up set up..:)

Hi all, someone in Australia reinvented this type of tool holder a few years ago, it was in the M.E. at the time but the tool bit was used for screwcutting. The reason I mention this is by regrinding the TOP face only to sharpen, the side angles remained the same so it was easy to reset. Will try to dig out a picture unless John B beats me to it.
Ian.

Dam! I knew he'd do it, it's like a red rag to a bull ;D (Brit Humour)

Circlip,
Not a red rag at all, it was in my favourites folder, for when the time comes to make one. 'Cos at the prices he charges for them, he should wear a mask, like Dick Turpin.
When I enquired about them, because he doesn't accept plastic, he told me to send the money to his parents house down south, England, then he would send me the tooling from Australia.
Seems to me, a man with a problem.

John

Red rag was ref to speed of getting picture on site. Have found the thread/post you refer to so I'm going to sulk and go and try to crash up on the various sites ::) ;D
Ian

Latest posts

Back