Single cylinder and four cylinder steam engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parksy

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Gday all

Thought I'd post a few pics of the first engines I've made. The first is a single cylinder double acting Danny engine that came as a kit. I purchased this kit before actually purchasing a lathe, then the steep learning curve started from there.

It runs well and the feeling of it running for the first time was very rewarding, considering I've never done anything like this before.

I wanted to make something a little bit more elaborate so I made a 4cylinder steam engine. This didn't have plans and was off the top of my head.

This engine runs very well and I can power it with my lungs. On the air compressor it surprisingly puts out enough power to burn my fingers if I attempt to hold the shaft.
If anyone hasn't already seen it, I'm attempting a nitro v8 engine which will be my first IC engine. I've seen it mentioned that beginners should start with simple engines first, but I don't mind a challenge.

Thanks for reading all

Andy

Wonderful stuff Andy, I wish more people would have a go at producing something like this.

Unless you are going into expansion engines, then it is just a matter of joining however many single cylinders you want, then getting the timing and feeds correct for the number of cylinders.

I am not saying what you did was easy, as I am sure it was not, but with a little thought many members on here could produce what you have done so elegantly.

Hope your next project turns out as well.

John

Thank you all. The kind words means a lot. I've uploaded a video of the 4cylinder engine running. It has a bit of oil in the tubing hence the funny sounds it makes at start up.
http://youtu.be/AJdh9wP2gUM

I really enjoy your 5 bearing crank and block design using brass webs. Going to save that for reference!Thm:

Back