Simple 2-stroke engine (Jan Ridders design)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaamieG

Reaction score
I almost completed my first project and yesterday night I managed to have it running.
Well the experience it is exhilarating to say the least.
I've been trying for the last three weeks and during the course of trials I managed to blow the hall sensor and even the transistor. Don't ask me how but I did it. I'm very capable to blow electronic stuff with my monkey curiosity to see what happens to short stuff...
Anyway, as I was saying at the beginning of the post, I did it!
Here a very short video of the first and second test run.
[ame]http://youtu.be/PhyrnYKb1BM[/ame]
The quality is not great and I was not prepared at all to this.
I was just adjusting the advance in the ignition when rotating the flywheel it came to life! Just like that.
I'll try to post some text and pictures of the manufacturing process but first I'd like to make the fine adjustments and complete the base changing it to a thicker Aluminium baseplate. You will notice the running is crude with the advance not correct. Right now I am happy and wanted to share this with you guys.
Cheers,
Giacomo

image-2511755999.jpg

Congratulations on working engine. I tried that engine too, but failed. I'm building a second one which should probably work, maybe.

What kind of ignition are you using?

Brilliant work Giacomo! Great to hear the excitement in the video, you must be very pleased indeed with the great result of your work.

cheers,
Ian

Congratulations on working engine. I tried that engine too, but failed. I'm building a second one which should probably work, maybe.

What kind of ignition are you using?

I'm actually using the TIM-6 ignition system from Outpost Enterprises LTD / USA. It bought it as a kit, so I had to solder all components. Well TBH I gave it to a friend who is good in this and was happy to help (at least this was my impression ;-) ). But I had to replace the transistor and I was too ashamed to ask that...

This morning I got in the post the CDI system from Just Engines Online Ltd / UK which is a fully pre assembled and pre wired system encapsulated in a nice box. This system is mainly sold for aero models and RC conversion from plug to spark ignition. So it should work, I'll post the results.

Cheers,
Giacomo

Congrats, well done! The 1st run is always the best- and the real good thing is, its the same joy and reward on every new project! :D

Cheers, Karsten

Very well done Giacomo and congrats on your runner. I know exactly how it feels when it comes to life.

Vince

I'm jealous. You had an engine run before you were ready. I have to spend hours to get mine to just turn over.

I'm jealous. You had an engine run before you were ready. I have to spend hours to get mine to just turn over.

Don't be jealous! I spent at least a couple of weeks trying different settings and waiting for the new hall sensor and transistor. So I do understand how frustrating it can be.
Last evening it all went right out of luck I guess...
I still have issues to resolve that might lead me to remake some components but I want to be sure before taking such step.
When I tried the first time I soon realize that the tolerance between cylinder and piston was not good and so I honed once more the cylinder and made another piston. I think I still have not done it perfectly, have to recheck it. I found that a drop of dense oil (cutting oil for example) in the exhaust port will increase a lot the compression and the motor will start easier. You will feel the difference immediately.
But ok I am still experimenting with piston position (since it can be adjusted) and the advance for the spark and then remember one old saying that quote more or less like this: if your motor doesn't start it is because of an electrical fault ;-)
I first tried with AA type batteries and soon I got out my auto regulated PSU that can feed up to 25Amp. I don't know if that was part of the issues but I didn't want to take any risk. I see that the electrical system absorb sometime around 4Amp. But again I'm not good at electrical stuff.

Looking forward to see your first startup!

Cheers,
Giacomo

Thank you Karsten and Vince.

Vince, I wish I could be as good as you are with your building. The model has shown to be a masterpiece and your thread is one of my favorite for such abundance of construction details and well taken pictures.

Cheers,
Giacomo

Back