silver solder vs. soft solder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinsquirrel

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bob Warfield posted this in Brian's super-duper horizontal double acting thread but I didn't want hijack it....

Lots of ways to skin the flywheel cat. While you've already bought your brass blank and no doubt intend to continue in that vein, I thought I would post a link to The Engineman's built up flywheel as an alternative for others:

http://modelengines.info/goldeng/const/flywheel.html

Cheers,

BW

I was just wondering whether the same technique could be used but utilising soft solder instead, the only reason I ask is because I haven't tackled anything with silver solder before.

David

I missed that link ??? ............ bloomin good ain't it 8)

TS, I was quite adept at silver soldering when I was about 15, so it can't be that hard ;D ........... from memory the principles are the same, just a nad's more heat.

CC ;)

David: There are two important considerations in a segmented flywheel. The size and the speed.There can be a significant centrifugal force on the rim of a flywheel and soft solder has almost zero strength in a butt joint in tension.

Latest posts

Back