Silver-Solder Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
I know silver-solder is required when fastening fittings to copper steam pipe. I looked on Wikipedia and found there are many silver-solder alloys with different melting points. Silver-solder with a melting point of 400-450 degrees Fahrenheit is available in most hardware store plumbing departments. Is this the right stuff to use when assembling steam piping?

Regards,
Korben

No. The problem stems with the terms. What you want is properly called
silver brazing alloy. Too many folks who should know better use the term
silver solder when they mean brazing. The difference is the temperature.
Soldering is low temp (up to about 800*F) and brazing is above about
1100*F.

The usual for general use, like your fittings, contains 45% silver and goes
by many trade names.

Thank you for the information. I asked because I was confused about the terminology and I really don't want the thing to blow up in my face. Is silver-brazing something I could learn to do with a Bernz-O-Matic type torch or should it be left to a more experienced hand with more sophisticated equipment?

Korben

Hi Korben,
Although silver solder (sorry brazing alloy) can be useful, I have found that the resin cored tin/lead solder used for electronics is strong enough to be used for low pressure steam lines (up to say 20psi?) as long as the lines aren't in danger of being heated by a flame.
It's a lot easier to use than silver solder. Buy some liquid flux such a Duzall, apply it to both sides of the contact faces using a toothpick, heat up the work gently and touch the solder to the joint. It should give a nice neat joint.
Now I will wait for the howls of disapproval from people who probably know more about these things.
Regards,
Alan C.

Reactions: gus
Plumbers soft solder is low temp and should not be used on high pressure steam boiler assy.It can be used to give a steam seal on mechanical joints
Ie if you have say a rivetted joint than is mechanically adequate the soft solder will seal the joints.Silver solder is high temp and most commonly used is 45% silver this will give an adequate joint for working pressures of say 200psi
and can be used to join dissimilar metals together ie steel,copper,brass SS etc
Small joints can be done with a mapp brasing torch,larger ones ie boilers need
oxy/acetelene. Brasing or bronze welding is a higher temp and gives a stronger joint to include cast iron.Most model engs will use silver solder
for boilers and fittings.Most boiler assys are rivitted or screwed for ease of assy then silver soldered.Silver solder and soft solder do not mix.No doubt many others will want to comment. Regards barry

Korben, depending where you live, it will either be called silver solder or silver braze. It is confusing having different terminology between countries for the same thing. Here in Australia the use of silver based alloys is called silver soldering, whereas brazing is done using brazing rods, often bought coated in flux or used with a flux powder. The brazing rods don't flow well into gaps, but are great for building up nice corners when attaching parts together.

Paul.

I use Oxy/MAPP for hard soldering. I also use the high silver content paste. The little oxy/MAPP torch does a great (fast) job that risks melting brass if I'm not careful. Cylinders are throw-away and purchased from the hardware store. They last remarkably long given their small size. Bernzomatic make one. MAPP was near useless on its own for hard silver brazing.

Just a couple of points V22 you are the only person to refer to hard soldering , the correct description for silver soldering .
Originally jewellers would use scraps of silver or even clippings from silver coins , generally silver solders contain at least 50% silver and have melting points above 650°C
Brazing is a method for joining ferrous metals with brass rod or wire , and should not be confused with sifbronze welding where commercially supplied bronze rod is used with oxy-acetylene to form a fillet joint between ferrous items .
In the former the job is heated above the melting point of the braze which then flows by capillary action into the joint , in the latter the localised heat of the flame keeps a pool of molten metal progressing along the joint rather like gas welding.
For those who are interested copper wire can be substituted for the brass if enough heat is available , borax mixed with water to a creamy consistency makes a cheap flux.
As already stated some solders containing a small amount of silver should be called soft solder , the bulk will be lead , tin or bismuth depending on its age or origins.

I use Oxy/MAPP for hard soldering. I also use the high silver content paste. The little oxy/MAPP torch does a great (fast) job that risks melting brass if I'm not careful. Cylinders are throw-away and purchased from the hardware store. They last remarkably long given their small size. Bernzomatic make one. MAPP was near useless on its own for hard silver brazing.

Please advise source for High Silver Content Paste and Soft Solder Paste.

Hi Gus,
I'm one of the guys with this double distinctions City and Guilds Motor Vehicle Restoration things and this was simply one of the competences.
Soft solder paste should be available at automobile factors who supply suitable lead for filling car body panels. You'll know the lead thing the same as me as you worked for Metal Box:rolleyes:

As for the silver paste, mine came from Chronos in the UK but where else, I simply don't know. I would be having a word with your local dental mechanic, recalling that my late wife was an orthodontic consultant. Certainly, any dental tech. will know where to get borax as a flux. I had difficulty in getting borax from chemists because - it's a poison. However, I bought a clapped out MIG welder to restore and came away with a spare bottle of shielding gas and a jar of a sort of borax mixture which actually works.

Kills cockroaches as well- but I digress:hDe:

Regards

Norman

Has anyone used borax from washing powder to flux with? It is used for fluxing Aluminum when melting.

Yes but it didn't work. I simply couldn't find the time to experiment further and getting the real stuff was cheap enough. Life with my dear wife took precedence over cockeyed school boy chemistry and penny pinching.

Thanks, everyone, this is an interesting and, I realize, complex subject.

To clarify my immediate interest: I have a Stuart S-50 stationary mill engine and a Stuart 500 Babcock boiler. I also have a Stuart steam and exhaust piping set. I need to shorten the steam pipe in order to make a neat installation in the space I have. I have all the pieces but need to silver-braze a steam union liner sleeve to the end of my copper steam pipe to make the connection.

I've done a lot of soldering in my time and I'm familiar with the welding and brazing processes. I just need to get the supplies and a torch and experiment with silver-brazing. You've all given me a better sense of direction on this.

Where is a good place to shop for silver-brazing rod and flux?

Thanks again,
Korben

Thanks, everyone, this is an interesting and, I realize, complex subject.

Where is a good place to shop for silver-brazing rod and flux?

Thanks again,
Korben

It would help to know where in the world you are, to enable us answer your question.

Chuck

Sorry about that. I am in Southern California, USA. I was thinking in terms of the type of store (plumbing supply, welding supply, etc.). I'll also check E-bay.

Korben

Mapps gas torches are available at the big box home improvement stores, silver solder and flux can be found at welding supply stores. Just ask at the welding supply store for someone that has actually done some silver soldering. My local AirGas counter guy had no clue... Luckily, his boss was close by and heard my question and pointed me in the right direction.
Chuck

Your local welder supply house is your best source for good quality silver brazing alloys. You can also get the two types of flux that you will need, there is white and black. The black is for working with higher temps.
You can also get good propane torches and propane. Do not use oxy- act for silver brazing the flame temp is to high and you run a very good risk of melting the parts you are trying to join.
When you are working on large parts that take a lot of heat it is a good idea to get some insulating fire brick that you can build a brazing table out of where you can surround your work to help keep the heat in the part. There are propane torches that have big tips on them an put out a lot of heat. Some times on large parts it is even necessary to use 2 torches.

If you are just starting out practice on something that if it does not work out you have not messed up your good parts.

Dave

Waymill is the companies name. I usually buy via their Ebay listings as their site does funny things on the international shipping calculations. They sell a number of different soldering pastes. From "Easy" (lower temp) through to Hard high temp and 75% silver.

https://www.waymil.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=38847

As for hard soldering with MAPP alone, I had no luck. My setup involves fire insulating bricks. MAPP would never get even small parts up to hard solder temperature (1300F / 700c). Silver solder is much easier with Oxy MAPP. Even with Oxy MAPP it can still take time to get a part up to the point where the hard solder flows.

Latest posts

Back