Sieg SX2 mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghosty

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all,
I purchased the Sieg SC-3 Lathe (brushless motor) and the Sieg SX-2 mill (brushless motor) a couple of years ago. I am now seeing some chatter with the mill. The lathe will have the tapered roller bearing conversion done soon, Have ordered the bearings 3 sets.
Has any one done the same conversion on the mill? I have checked all slide adjustments and they are all OK.
Both machines have worked with out issue in all the time I have had them.

Cheers

2.jpg

5.jpg

I have attached a PDF of an article downloaded from the Arc Euro shop site. Part way down, he discusses about fitting uprated angular contact spindle bearings. It seems it can only be done easily with the MT spindle. But it does show the whole upgrade for the bearings mod

Hope it helps you out a little.

John

View attachment MEW201_p52_58_X2_Mill.pdf

Last edited:
Thank for the reply, My mill has the MT spindle, my research had all ready given me that much, the bearings are different to what is used in the lathe conversion even though the two take the same bearing from the manufacturer. Will have to do a search on the bearings listed in the article. The mill I have is a brushless motor powered version the has a toothed belt drive, which has a rpm speed from 0-2500.

Cheers

My mill for CNC conversion is basically the same as yours, but with a rigid column and longer table, and one of the things I will be doing, if Arc Euro can sort out the bearings needed, is to fit angular contact bearings to the spindle.

I don't know where you come from, but Arc should have those bearings in stock, and their postal rates and delivery times are usually fairly good.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...lar-Contact-Ball-Bearing-7206B-2RS-30x62x16mm

John

I hope that the R8 conversion should be ready to proceed sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Blogwitch, Updated location, Live in Australia
Done some research on the two bearings.
7206-B-2RS, Angular contact, Fatigue Load Limit 0.61 Kn, Dynamic Load Limit 22.5 Kn
30206, Taper Bearing, Fatigue Load Limit 4.8 Kn, Dynamic Load Limit 40.2 Kn
Looking at the fatigue limit, I think I will look at fitting the taper bearings, the angular contact bearings are listed on the SKF website at a light thrust load bearing. Yes the angular bearings are the same width as the standard bearings, where the taper bearings are 1.25 mm wider, on the lathe the spacer requires modification, so I will look at the mill today and see if they will be able to be fitted.

Cheers

Loosened the locking grub screw, fitted the er32 collet arbour so I could hold the shaft to undo the retaining nut (WARNING - nut is left hand thread)

11.jpg

12.jpg

Lowered head down onto a support bar, using a piece of scrap of brass as a drift, tapped the shaft down to release the pulley (WARNING the shaft with the key installed will not fit through the bearing)

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Bearings removed, Upper bearing tested OK, Lower bearing had some movement in it.
Now just waiting on the bearings to arrive, will clean up all parts and housing ready for the reinstall.

Cheers

25.jpg

26.jpg

My mill for CNC conversion is basically the same as yours, but with a rigid column and longer table, and one of the things I will be doing, if Arc Euro can sort out the bearings needed, is to fit angular contact bearings to the spindle.

I don't know where you come from, but Arc should have those bearings in stock, and their postal rates and delivery times are usually fairly good.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...lar-Contact-Ball-Bearing-7206B-2RS-30x62x16mm

John

I hope that the R8 conversion should be ready to proceed sooner rather than later.

John,
I done some research on the spindle bearings for the R8 spindle.

Lower bearing size 35x62x14

Timken, Deep Grove 6007 2RS
Tapper 32007X

SKF Angular Contact 7007 CB/P4A
7007 ACE/HCP4AL1

All the bearings are the same dimensions as the standard one.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Thanks very much Ghosty, that info will be useful when I get around to the head part of my conversion.

I am only just getting back into my shop in earnest after a long layoff, so with the backlog of jobs that need to be done, it might be some time before the CNC conversion gets to the top of the pile, but it will get done.
In fact, a good friend of mine will be doing a write up in Model Engineers Workshop about converting one exactly the same as mine, so everything has been got together to make a great conversion. Just got to get him started posting in the mag.

John

Last edited:
Hi All,
The bearings turned up this morning, turned up the install and removal tools, will start the reassemble after lunch as I have an appointment at 11.30 this morning.

Cheers

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Latest posts

Back