Sidney 16 or Does anyone use big lathes here?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to let a machinist friend look it over next week and see what he thinks. Maybe put a riser in there somewhere. Problem is I would like a good heavy lathe and they are few and far between around here. Don't want to drive many miles after buying one off Ebay and find it's wore out. I suppose I will end up with a Grizzly or some such lathe if I want something larger than my 7x if this one doesn't pan out.

Don't run away too quickly, check out a few things first. Look at the ID tag, what size does it list, does it state 14/18, that would be a factory dual height machine, then look at the bed/headstock joint does it have a 2" spacer, how about the compound rest is there a block there? If so they can be removed. if not you can go tailstock hunting. It is not that tough, this forum would not be the ideal place, but Practical Machinst antique forum, and the Monarch Forum would be the place to go. The price should change if the tailstock is wrong. A riser for the tailstock could be made, an involved process for someone starting out though.

It is a 16 inch. Built 6/14/44. My friend came over today and is going to try to find a tailstock. Failing that, we will machine one or get rid of lathe.

I suspect you can get the tailstock issue sorted out. Did you find the reason for the wobble at the chuck? This sounds like a good old machine and worth some investigation.

You might post a photo or two when you have a chance.

Regards

Chuck

Just wanted to weigh in on this, since I asked the same questions a while back. I have 2 lathes (actually 3, but 2 that run...). A small 7x14 chinese clone, and a 16"x6' Hendey.
Had the 7x14 and wanted something bigger. Got the Hendey CHEAP, and that helped. But moving a 6,000 lb machine is an adventure! Been using the Hendey for about a year now.
I need to preface this by saying I haven't built a model engine yet, but have worked on lots of small parts and fixes. For truely tiny stuff, i still use the small lathe, but as size increases, the Hendey is much more fun to use. For roughing work, it takes MUCH bigger bites - things that would take forever on the little lathe can be done in a few passes - no chatter.
The Hendey is the old style lathe with speeds from 16 rpm - about 900 - power feed and crossfeed. Also nice to have the big lathe features - like the emergency brake.
Everything is bigger and heavier - chucks weigh 30 pounds or more,, and tooling is bigger and more expensive. I also have a big shop so the footprint wasn't a problem, but if you have limited room, a big lathe takes up big room. Mine is also 3 phase, so needed space for the 10 horse rotary converter.

Thanks for the comments! Haven't figured out wobble. Took chuck off today and doesn't look as though spindle is messed up. There was a dirt and such between there. I think the chuck just moved when it was hauled. I ordered my first dial indicator and stand today and we'll know very soon if spindle is ok :).

Tenn-blue, I like to hear stuff like that. I had a rotary phase converter already and although my shop is fairly good sized, it is about full. I have pretty much a complete woodworking shop in there also. I also have a 7x10 and will probably buy the 14 inch bed from LMS to extend it. 10 inches is a little short.

Back