ShedBoy's New Cave

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
I have been itching nad dreading doing this project but it needs to be done. My new shed is 10m x 7m with 3m high walls an 4m to the ridge.It was a very shaky start but we are making progress now. 40°c heat is not helping either.
shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

shed3.jpg

shed4.jpg

shed5.jpg

shed6.jpg

That slanty post is because I let her indoors with the big wine glass level it up while I was up on the ladder srewing it home last night. Oh well. Hopefully get the frame finished in the morning before the heat kicks in.

Brock

That looks like a nice project, It'll be a great shop!

Watch that heat! 40C is cooking on a concrete slab!

AC I assume?

Dave

Yeah got a AC kicking around along with a sink. Need outside AC at the moment, about 10am and the steel is too hot to hold with bare hands and it is tools down for me.
Brock

Looks like it is going to be a great shop!!!
A nice home for that new lathe on it's way to you!!! ;D

As Steamer said watch out for the heat!!
I can send you some freezing rain if you wish??? :big:

Andrew

The Brock cave is looking great - and a good size too. Did you put in plenty of conduit for island power points ? You can never have too many power outlets. Do you have 3phase? Best of luck and hope all goes to plan

Herbie
Yeah I have 3 phase and there will be plenty of outlets going in, mezanine in some areas and I have found a workbench on the side of the road with a 20mm plate top which should be had for not much.

Andrew
The lathe i on a boat called Kato Kasturi, I have been tracking it from this page http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=563342000 I rang the people at the port who will be unloading it an they say it will be due in the first week of February.

Brock

Thm: That's going to be some cave when you get 'er done!

+40° is tough?!? try working outside at -33° (todays current temp, -35° tomorrow) ;) Anyway, looking good.

Cheers,
Chazz
P.S. Stay Warm!

Brock,

ENVY...............ENVY..................ENVY :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hope you have enough water out there to keep that slab damp for a month or so. Especially at those temperatures.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob I have been hosing it a couple of times a day. They still have to come and cut construction lines.
Brock

Thought I better give an update with the shed build.
Shed7.jpg

2.7m high roller door 3m wide
Shed8.jpg

Alot bigger than my previous cave
Shed9.jpg

Looks empty but won't be for long
Shed10.jpg

The personal access door. a sink is going in next to it. The lights on thre roof come from the local shopping centre for free. SWMBO was working on nightfill when they were being replaced and sweet talked the sparkies into letting me take some.
Shed11.jpg

Mezzanine frame for my new storage area. Dust gathering stuff up top. I have started moving stuff back into it, shold have some more pics later on today.
Brock

WOW!!!
That is some serious machine real estate space you have there!!!

Better have a pile of tools to fill it with!
The new lathe will look awfully lonely in there!!! :big:

Any updates on the lathe?
I checked and the last update was more than a day ago...

Andrew

The lathe has arrived, I will do a full write up on it once the shed gets sorted. I have pulled the box off it to make sure it is not damaged.
MiniLathe.jpg

The only thing wrong I can see is the plug is not the correct one.
Brock

That shed looks about the right size Brock but I worry about the roller door. I had mine on the side and then realised that I could not conveniently work on one side of a vehicle. So I had to move it to the middle.

And I forgot the anticon in the roof so it rained on my machines when the temperature dropped. So I had to take the roof off and put in the anticon. That helped with the temperature control as well. And it got even better when I packed the walls with batts and covered them with 10mm mdf.

But I now have lathe envy.

Jim

I would like to put the door in the middle but house placement, block size etc stipulates it has to go there. There is a 800mm gap to the wall so hopefully it will be okay.
Brock

Hi Brock
Shed looks great mate :bow:
Pete

Brock

Your new shed looks great. Lots of space for the toys. From my experience you will never have enough space especially if the wife decides to start storing things in there.

Enjoy your new toy (lathe).

Vince

Latest posts

Back