Selecting a microphone for engine video shooting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rweber

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I always have problems getting a decent sound when shooting a video of a model engine. My P9 phone isn't the newest, but it fails totally to record a reasonable sound. I'm quite sure that an external microphone would produce a better result. Does anyone have experience in this direction or can give a recommendation?

Typically the speaker is the problem. When I shoot video and cast it to the television the sound is much better. If I view it on my phone it sounds terrible.

Also shoot video with your phone horizontal not straight up. Watching video that is shot vertically only looks right on a phone. Viewing it on the telly or computer makes it seem like it's being viewed through a key hole. Horizontal video looks great on everything.

Typically the speaker is the problem. When I shoot video and cast it to the television the sound is much better. If I view it on my phone it sounds terrible.

Also shoot video with your phone horizontal not straight up. Watching video that is shot vertically only looks right on a phone. Viewing it on the telly or computer makes it seem like it's being viewed through a key hole. Horizontal video looks great on everything.

Thanks for your reply, Steve. But the issue here is not the speaker, it's the mic. I'm looking for some cable or bluetooth mic which picks up the engine sound more neutrally and does not overdrive as the mobile microphone does. Well, I could buy a new mobile, but that would be overkill. In addition, many microphones are optimized for voice, probably not what I want.

Latest posts

Back