Searching for John Samphier

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneywomble

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is an unusual request. I recently began collecting working model engines... in particular Steam Engines... however I recently had the opportunity to purchase a wonderful model "Hit & Miss" engine. The engine has a small brass name plate with the wording "CHUGGA" by J A Samphier... The engine was purchased from and British gent living in Brisbane in Australia and I purchased it from him. My request is to try and find the original owner and let him know his engine has found a new "safe" home... and of course I would love to know a little more about it. A search of this forum turned up a "John Samphier" so I thought I would post this and some pics in the hope someone may be able to help me or may recognise the engine.

All the Best
Marc

Hit&Miss-01s.jpg

Hit&Miss-02s.jpg

Hit&Miss-03s.jpg

Hit&Miss-04s.jpg

Hit&Miss-05s.jpg

Hit&Miss-06s.jpg

Hello Barney,

This is John Samphier the Builder of the engine. I Live in Melbourne Australia and am now retired of course. I was living in Hellensvale at the time and sold it to a fellow who came down from Brisbain. I hope it has given you some enjoyment to own.
The engine was built in 1987 and was based on a Duclos engine of the time however I remodeled the cylinder head making it an OHV which was more typical of the old farm engines. The spark plug was home made as were the gears and piston rings.
I often wondered where it ended up in the wide world and I'm glad to Know that it is still in good hands Obviously a good home! It does look like it could do with a little restoration though?
I have another one I have made about 5 years ago I called "Moderna" this one is a free lance design and I exhibit it annually at a Crank up day of big engines down here in Melbourne and get many an offer from people wanting to buy same.
Currently I am building a Westbury 4 Cylinder "Sealion" almost complete now!

Fhoto attached[email protected]

Last edited:
It has always bothered me that so many models are built without a builders plate, or other identification. Artists almost always sign their work, why should our models get any less care? This note is a great example of what can happen when a model is labeled by the builder.

So come on guys, be sure every model you build at least has your name on it somewhere in a permanent fashion, and at best a nice brass label prominently displayed.

Back