• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Seal 15cc

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadabout

Reaction score
Hi All! I am after a Westbury Seal 15cc in any condition, from castings (yes I know Hemingways have them) to part built to complete, does anyone have anything for sale or know someone who might ?
thanks
regards
Mark

I am in Tasmania , Australia. why is there no point asking if I am in the middle of nowhere? Things can be posted worldwide

Not 100% sure but take a look at the E&J Winter website (located in Bathurst NSW) they do have some castings which i believe are based on westbury engines , i may be thinking of the "Atom" and i built the twin flat two stroke they sell which is a westbury designed engine - the proper name eludes me at the moment but they call it ic 4 or something .

XD351, have had a look at the winter website, nothing shows up regarding IC engines that I could find, thanks for the suggestion
Mark

Unfortunately Mark they don't do a seal , it looks like they are all based on single cylinder designs except the flat twin . I can't ever remember one coming up on ebay either and i watch out for casting sets or unique engines like a hawk !
You may have to bite the bullet and buy from hemingways .
I wouldn't like to have to pay for the postage even to Sydney let alone Tassie ![emoji31].
I haven't built this engine let alone seen the plans but have you considered machining it from a billet of alloy ? I had to do that with the flat twin as the castings that were supplied were awful and unfortunately for me E&J winters changed hands between the time i got the castings and started the build i couldn't send them back .If i see one somewhere i will let you know .

Xd351, I have considered that but I might just yet draw it up in 3d cad and get a wax print done to cast if getting from Hemingways is too expensive
thanks
mark

as the castings that were supplied were awful and unfortunately for me E&J winters changed hands between the time i got the castings and started the build i couldn't send them back .

I've heard this a few times about that company. Personally, I won't buy anything from them just on principle. From what I understand, the consumer has comeback/warranty from the business so if you buy the business, you buy the warranties as well. The cost to them of replacing dodgy castings is trivial compared to the cost to the consumer.

I think the new owner has addressed the issues that plagued the previous one and would have no issues with changing the castings if i had have bought from him now , there was well over two years between buying and starting to machine the castings and i didn't discover the problem until i got to the second half of the crankcase - core shift had left the cylinder housing too thin on one side after machining to be able to use the casting .
I am currently building the hit and miss engine they sell ( castings came off eBay second hand ) and have found the castings to be of good quality .

Hi All! I am after a Westbury Seal 15cc in any condition, from castings (yes I know Hemingways have them) to part built to complete, does anyone have anything for sale or know someone who might ?
thanks
regards
Mark
I built two recently. Take a look at them at ronsmodelengines on YouTube?

Ron, are they Hemingway castings? appears to be two different cylinder heads.
thanks
Mark

Hemmingway's price of £128.50 for a new set of the Seal castings looks like a bargain for what you get and if you buy an orphaned engine it is likely to have "features".

I have never had a bad casting from him.

Jo

I had two casting sets, bought at different times, I was going to make a large twin engined Riva sports boat but I gave up making model boats because they were too large for me to handle with one good arm.

One thing I must mention, the Seal must have had a redraw of the plans as it ended up that some of the castings were different between the two sets, mainly the crankcase, so beware if you have to order new castings if you mess one up, make sure you get the casting from the correct set.

John

Back