Scale Radiator Hose

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for scale radiator hose, I'm looking for 3/16" ID and preferably a wall thickness of less than 1mm as it is a 1/5th scale engine. I have tested the water pump with clear aquarium air hose but one it looks wrong being clear and two its a bit thick as you can see.

PICT0311.jpg

Model Engine Builder recently had an article on using a thermoplastic hose called "Santoprene" but from what I have Googled the 3/16" bore has a 1/16" wall thickness. I know Blackgates and Bruce do silicon tube but from what I recall they are quite thick walled as well. I seem to remember having a black fuel line at one time on an RC car but don't remember where it came from.

Anyone got a source preferably in the UK but not essential.

Thank, Jason

Edit Just found the black fuel line on a helicopter not a car but at 3mm bore it looks too stretched out when fitted to the 3/16" pipe. Do they make big bore fuel line? maybe for the 1:5 cars

Hi Jason
Dwight Giles did a nice article in Model Engine Builder magazine recently about making scale model radiator hoses, hope this helps, a friend in models. Jim Hay

Thanks Jim but as I said in my opening post the Santoprene as mentioned in MEB that I have been able to find has a 1/16" wall thickness, I'm looking for something more like 1/32"

A few leads I have now got are:

drip feed irrigation tube - 4mm bore
Car screenwash tube - 5mm bore
Mountain bike hydralic brake lines - 5mm

Jason

Shops that repair lawn mowers have a thin walled plastic tube that is used for fuel lines. The type I have seen is black. If you want ribs on it you could find some mono filament fishing line the right size and wind it around the outside of the tube.

Latest posts

Back