Resin cored solder/wire

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Hi all. Spending a bit of quality time in the shed with my 14 year old grandson teaching him the basics of Mig welding with gasless wire and the question was asked "how do they get the hole in the wire and fill it with flux?". After changing the subject, followed by a frantic search on Youtube I have no idea. Please help as the young lad thinks I'm a genius. ???

That's ok... it took me a month to figure out how tube pasta was made (which is actually the same way, come to think of it.) ;D

Thanks all. Easy when you know how :D

Flux cored MIG wires are generally rolled from flat (some are welded, some aren't) and then drawn down - if you look at it carefully enough you will find the join / lap.

Flux cored solders on the other hand are made from a much larger diameter either cast or drilled, filled with flux and then extruded down to size.

The "reverse" of this is 5m long drill steels (underground mining drilling rods) which have a coolant hole down the length of the rod - they cast the steel billet around a coated mallable iron rod - the billet is then rolled out into drill rod (normally an octagon) - the cut lengths then have the ends turned down to the core which is drawn out (you pull it - it necks down and draws out as a piece of wire), Hey presto a 5m long rod with a hole down the middle.

Ken

Latest posts

Back