Repairing a broken monitor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
Not a mechanical item , and certainly not a model but I thought this is worth sharing .

A customer wanted me to clean up the basement and discard of all items .
Amongst the items was a Samsung syncmaster F2380 , wich was a pretty high end monitor a couple of years back . Well worth the effort of trying to salvage

I hooked it up and it works for a couple of minutes , then the backlight dies .
Cycling the power brings it back to life for a couple of minutes , then it dies again . Quite repeatable .

So I opened it and started examining the pcb .
Now I've done this before , so I know what to look for . and I found exactly that .

If you look at the picture , the solder where the pencil is pointing has a little
grey cirkel in it .
That is called a cold solder . Its barely visible sometimes .
This is what caused the problem . Cold joints can have a high resistance to not making contact at all . The higher the current , the worse the problem gets .

Reflow the solder , add some real lead alloy solder , and it's fixed .

Cold joints happen when pcb are wave soldered , and sometimes there are temperature issues or a part is not clean . Causing the solder to be "glued" instead of soldered . Initially it'll work fine , but these joints make a poor electrical contact and deteriorate over the years . At bit like spark erosion in miniature .
They mostly happen on larger components with a higher thermal load .
Relais , power transistors and stuff like that .

I'de say that 50% of all electrical equippement failure in electronics are bad solder related . And the use of today's lead free alloy's makes it worse then ever .

So if your dish washer , water cooker , sewing machine or whaetever will sometimes , but not alway's work : start looking for a bad solder on one of the larger components . There 's a better then average chance you'll be able to fix it

Pat

solder.jpg

May I just add that switching the item on and off in a darkened room will often show tell-tale sparks around a dry joint.
Dan

Back