Rare Find ?????

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gruby

Reaction score
I found this at the side of the road in a bunch of stuff left after a tag sale last Fall. It is an American Watch and Tool Company Jewelers Lathe. Serial #2538. Made in Waltham, Ma. I am calling it Rare because of the Collet Closer. Anybody know any more about it. It will be a struggle to find the rest of it. I need the compound slide to complete it. There is a Walnut Box with plenty of Collets and Tooling.

"Bill Gruby"

JL 002 (800 x 600).jpg

JL 003 (800 x 600).jpg

Wow....nice find Bill. I can't help with any more info on it, but what there is of it looks to be in pretty good shape. Even if you only clean it up and mount it on something it would make a nice and no doubt historical conversation piece.

Bill

I would say it's fairly rare because you rarely see the cast-on foot on what appears to be an early variation on the WW style (Webster-Whitcomb) jeweler's lathe. I have a relatively later model American W&T Co. WW-style lathe and it looks like a Boley and the other standard WW's. If the chuck is in good condition and on an 8mm arbor it's worth $200/± alone and these come up fairly often on eBay. IF the bed does conform to the WW profile a compound cross-slide for it is going to be a little harder to come by (unless you happen to find one of those by side of the road!) Two or three compounds a year come up on eBay and usually go for $350 and above. A mint one will bring $500.

Thanx Guys;

This is the box of collets and tooling.

"Bill Gruby"

JL (800 x 600).jpg

Nice find Bill!

Pity that it is missing the cross slide otherwise it would be a great little machine to use!

One to add to the collection!

Andrew

We will find one Dave. If all else fails one can be made to use.

"Bill Gruby"

I've been tempted to buy one (a compound) and replicate it, then sell off the old one. What I have to do though is decide how I want to spend my time, how much model building time I want to give up to make tooling, and I think I'd give up a couple of weeks of time to build one of these.

I have looked on the bay and none of the compounds will fit this lathe. Most mount on a round bed with a verticle flat on them. This is what the bed looks like on mine. It may take me a while to find this type.

"Bill Gruby"

end (800 x 600).jpg

You maybe interested in this video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/rs17420#p/a/u/2/oGkKbyrN32s[/ame]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/user/rs17420#p/a/u/2/oGkKbyrN32s[/youtube]

Reminds me of my Grandfather. He did that kind of work for the Ingraham Clock factory here in Bristol. He and my Dad are the pnes who headed me in the direction of the Machining Trade.

Thank you for the memory.

"Bill Gruby"

my son and I just watched( heh heh ) that clip together .
even Keven was total engrossed in it and he is only 19 months old
Pete and Kev

that may be a "Works" lathe intended for production work. Do you live near a "Watch" town?...like Waltham MA?

Dave

Back