Quill Lock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Everyone complains about messing up at the last operation. How many mess up the first operation and blindly go ahead unaware?

I had to replace a missing quill lock so I just grabbed a piece of shafting from the scrap box (turned out to be tough stuff) and chucked it up. I first drilled and tapped for 3/8 - 16 and then cut the tapers with the compound. Took it to the garage to use the big heat to bend it and brought it back in to polish. Looking good, I set it on the stud, literally. Then made a second one 5/16 -18.

QuillLocks.jpg

Well now that sounds like something I think we all do now and than. Like me you was just making sure you knew how to make it before ya made one, right? Good job on both tho.

been there done that..............got a full scrap box to prove it !!! :eek:

one day at work the dro messed up and every time you moved the table on the mill .100" it would add 2 to 3 thou. to the display.
not a big problem on some of the stuff i make, but that day i was making a plate with 1/8" diameter holes drilled 1/4" apart and the whole plate 3 feet x 4 feet full of holes. it had to match a plate that was already made by another shop. well by the end of the second day i finished the job, i put my plate on top of the original plate.............took one look at the hole alignment and promptly tossed my plate in the scrap bucket!!! :wall:

one very well placed hammer and we now have a new dro...............and the customer has his new plate.

chuck

Back