QCTP tool holder question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm making a few tool holders for myOXA QCTP for 5/16” turning/facing bits. I have some CRS mysterymetal, but my first couple will be from 6061-T6 aluminum 1 1/2” x2”. The steel holders that came with the QCTP have a .135” to.150” lip at the bottom of the slot for the tool bit. Will .350”be enough to support the tool bit on the aluminum block?

Chuck

Last edited:
chucketn,

If I understand your question correctly, I think you are asking if you need to make the toolbit slot higher to make sure that the holder will not break. If this is the right interpretation, I would be concerned that the bit would not fall in a location that would allow it to be adjusted vertically to cut correctly. You will need to make sure that the TOP of the cutting edge of the toolbit is at the correct height, with some room for adjustment.

My apologies if I misunderstood.

--ShopShoe

You are more or less correct, ShopShoe. I measured the turning/facing tool that came with the tool post, set up so the cutting bit was on center, and measured the gap under the holder. I also measured the lip or bottom edge that the tool bit sits on in the holder, and added those 2 measurements together, and added some fluff space.
I went ahead and made the tool holder today, and the locktite on the height adjuster post is curing as we correspond. I will set the holder up on the tool post in the morning and take a picture.

Chuck

Back