Pricy, but beautiful!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a steam engine completely handmade bei swiss toolmaker/watchmaker. 4 years of work, hundreds of parts made of brass, stainless steel and bronce. All tolerances within 1/100mm. Fully functional.

I'd hope if was functional !!

Powerd either with steam (engine is delivered without boiler), compressed air or electric current. Engine is presented in a display case with 6 drawers. Drawers contain spare parts and tools.

Sheeeesh, you'd think they'd throw in the boiler ??, But, Nooooooooooo !! Or the air compressor or the electric current [sic], guess I'd have to find my own current somewhere. Anybody have some spare current I can use ?? :p :big:

Well...for that price it should come with a power plant and a producing oil field.....sorry guys....IMHO...pretty...but not THAT pretty 8)

Dave

If anyone is interested; I have for sale a turned stub of mild steel, about 3 inches long, turned at different widths, accuracy to +/- 2", it took me about 5 minutes to produce.

Grab yourself a bargain! A fine example of crap workmanship!

Offers in excess of £200,000 gratefully received.

Included in the sale is a strait jacket and directions to the nearest loony bin.

Can't knock the man for asking; look carefully at the man (if any) who buys it! :D

Oh Dear, just over a day to go and no bids, I thought there was supposed to ONE born every minute! I guess the last weeks worth must have been looking elsewhere.
Ned

AndyB said:
If anyone is interested; I have for sale a turned stub of mild steel, about 3 inches long, turned at different widths, accuracy to +/- 2", it took me about 5 minutes to produce.

Grab yourself a bargain! A fine example of crap workmanship!

Offers in excess of £200,000 gratefully received.

Included in the sale is a strait jacket and directions to the nearest loony bin.

Does it include free delivery ? :big:

Darn! Its over! I love watching an interesting auction!

Not a single bid!.....Reaffirms my belief that the wealthy Do have common sense. :big:

-MB

Rob,

If you want to pay for it I will come up and deliver it in person, and build you a shed to display it in! :big:

Andy

I would but wife wont let me . You know how it is. :big:

Rob.....

I think it is UNDER priced. If I spent 4 years making that thing, I would want to get closer to $200K. Even at that it is only 50K a year, I would still need a day job to pay all the bills. I guess that is why very few of these type of creations come up for sale. You could barely make a living doing this, but I quess this is the difference between a hobby and production.

IronHorse

Very late on this ( Haven't been reading the Break Room) but unless it was made
by Leonardo Di Vince and has the provenance, I think it's overpriced. :)
...lew...

IronHorse said:
If I spent 4 years making that thing,

There is no way he spent four years, full time on that thing. I might believe 4 years of spare time making a piece here and there. There is no doubt that it is a very nice piece and if he gets his price, the Peewee is going on Ebay starting at $50,000. Why not, it took a year and a half, here and there!!

There is a 1/4 scale small block chevy on there for $18,000 that still needs to be finished. I think my price is in the ball park.

Why is everyone so keen to devalue this person's work?

Wouldn't YOU like to think that someone out there placed a high value on something you made?

Look at the skills that go into model making, or any fine engineering for that matter; wouldn't it be nice to see them valued at more than a few cents per hour?

And think what high product values would do for the pursuit of engineering as a whole. Rather than being the diminishing domain of old men there might be a whole new growth in the craft.

We should be encouraging and promoting this type of sale, not dragging it down.

Ron.

The first rule of pricing an object is that an item is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay. It does not matter if the build costs are huge, you can only sell for what the market will stand.
Now if we could get Bill Gates or Arab oil Sheiks interested in buying and collecting model engines.......
Ned

All I can say is I can but aspire to such craftmanship\artistry, I just wish there was some more information on all the engines and artist.

Are all the engines one-off designs? If they are replicas, of what, and from what era?

Maybe a bit more info on the builder and his shop\machinery?

On a side note, what is the purpose of the grub screw on the wheel?

I'd offer him $75,000, then resolve the fastener issue ie: studs\bolts for cap screws, then reauction it for a $150,000 and have the dream shop I always wanted. :big:

Chazz

Back