Poor Man's "Machinist Microscope"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kquiggle

Reaction score
USB microscopes are fairly cheap, and enable one to view objects on a computer screen, and also capture photos. Of course these are not going to replace a real machinists microscope, but they are still very useful for viewing objects under magnification, documenting work, and in some cases even working under magnification.

However, one drawback of these inexpensive microscopes is that the stands provided with them are barely adequate. Building a custom microscope stand (with focusing adjustment) makes the microscope much easier to use, and also increases its capability by enabling a better range of magnification.

The stand I built is shown in the picture below, along with a photomicrograph taken with the microscope.

A build log, plans, and additional photos can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/miscellaneous-projects/usb-microscope-stand

uCjVRSFoVX0goOPvahnufNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Awesome! I've been watching these and other things on DX.com that has banner ads here on HMEM. I think you have convinced me to buy one.

Thanks for sharing this.

Latest posts

Back