PM Research Kits

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the gov kit on ebay, it bolts to the steam chest on the pm Research modle #1 . The best way I can explain is their is a rotory valve which lets steam into the chest area. I havent finshed the engine yet and havent started the gov yet but it looks like to will work. this is my first engine from casts and Im working a little slow. The guy from eclectors devices inc was very helpful to me he emailed me photos showing how to set up and machine varous parts of the engine , and upgradeing it by adding bearings ect if some one wants them I try to forward them to you.

Mike

The PM Research #3 was the first casting kit that I had built. It machined according to the prints, assembled and operated perfectly. I have had this engine operating at shows for close to 10 years. It works equally well on live steam as compressed air. I have used it to power a water pump and now has been put to work on the oil derrick (see pic below).

AtHayCreek07.jpg

Another satisfied customer,
Frank

Wherr did you get that little drill press? Could you please post some more pictures of it?

Thanks, Wes

Polski The show grounds look like Waverly NE. Nice show. went there in 2005.

Powder,
I have posted some pics of the drill press (before and after) in my gallery under J&H. Have a look.

gt,
This pic was taken at the Hay Creek Festival at Joanna Furnace, just north of Morgantown PA.

BTW, I have a few PM kits that are waiting to be started. I feel sometimes that I'm becoming a kit collector rather than an engine builder :).

Frank

Hi, resurrecting an old thread with a bit of 1st hand knowledge

I'm a noob, but I've built 3 PM kits a 3BI, a coke bottle vertical and a #1 with governor.

PM kits are nice but I prefer the Stuart's with the separate steam chest. A function of my machining skills and the lack thereof.

Re the governor on the #1,I bought one with the #1, it is the elector's kit and irrespective of pictures, it is a real governor with a valve on the steam inlet controlled by the rising balls. However, the governor is a bit over sized for the #1 and with the indicated mounting directly to the steam chest the stem is a too short to keep the governor shaft aligned, so I will need to redo it with a longer stem going below the steam chest mount and a couple of bronze bushings to keep it aligned under load.

That said the #1 runs nice and the governor valve will adjust/control the engine speed.

Hello Everyone;

I scored an old 3B off of ebay and the castings are bronze, they don't make this in bronze anymore, which makes me almost want to do a modern one first.
It is also my very first one to build.
I was very impressed with the plans to build it, they are very indepth. I'm also thinking of making their boiler to run it / them as they look like a nice model to show off for company.
By the way, with one of their boilers, how many engines could be run at the same time?

Thanks,

Rob "Smokebox" Wright

Back