PM Research 1BI - 1880's Horizontal Drilling Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadecy

Reaction score
I finally gathered up the pictures I took and built a web page of the project. There are quite a few pictures on this linked page so it may take a little while to load.

http://www.modelmachinist.com/albums/Build_PM1BI/PM1BI_Build.htm

I am including an image of the completed engine here to peak your interest. I hope you enjoy it!

IMG_5977.JPG

I have not made a base for it yet but that is coming soon! ;D

Jadecy,

Very Nice build :bow:

Innovative use of the mill. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Beautiful engine Jadecy. Hope mine will turn out as well, when I get around to it that is. ANy chance of a video of it running? Great job and nice pics too!!

Bill

Nice job. Tell us about the finishing, please. What paint did you use? Primer? How did you get the bronze cross head caps and connecting rod so shiny? What about the polished rim on the flywheel? On my PM Model 3, the flywheel is a solid bronze casting. Is this kit different? Is the rim a separate piece?

I've had no problem polishing the brass and 12L14 steel on PM kits to a bright finish, and it seems to hold up pretty well after using a good grade of metal polish (Simichrome). Do you have any additional tips on this? Do anything else to inhibit rust or tarnish?

Thanks for sharing,

David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA

I have this casting kit but was putting off starting it. After reading your build maybe I will give it a try. Very nice engine.

The paint was purchased at a Lowes home improvement store. I used a sandable primer followed up with a red that I liked. The cast brass/bronze (I don't know what the casting material is. I think it is brass.) parts were a bit of a pain to polish. I scraped them with a 1/4" square piece of HSS to get them somewhat smooth. I then used a dremel type tool with a sanding drum to get the flat surfaces. The last step was to use jewelers rouge and a conical felt tool on the dremel rotary tool. It tool a while but I like the results.

The flywheel is a cast iron casting and the outer part is just the polished casting. I put it on an arbor on the lathe and went from course wet-dry sand paper and worked my way to super fine. I'm not sure the last step did anything but I used some buffing compount for the last step.

The finishing touches always take the most elbow grease!

This model is the 1BI with cast iron flywheel not the smaller #3 that that has a bronze flywheel. Both are nice models and similar to build.

I will try to add some additional notes and pictures to the site later. Thanks for the comments! Let me know if I can provide anymore information.

Great website and good resource for ideas for those of us starting our first casting kit,

Cheers,
Phil

Oooh. That looks pretty sweet. I best be finding some time to read your webpages. Nice work.

Really nicely done, Jadecy! Do you have a video for it yet? Would be great to see this one running.

Back