Plexiglas Covers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnp101677

Reaction score
I have some pretty tough, see-through material that I’d like to make a cover for some engines with. I figure there must be a lot of people on this site who have made covers for their models and was hoping to get some words of advice. Should I just butt the pieces together or cut a 45 degree angle for better fit? What kind of glue should I use, etc?

Thanks you in advance for your shared thoughts.

Dan

Thin sheets, less than .118 can be scribed then broken or a tables saw will work well too. Wet sand or clean up the edges by climb milling and build your box with butt joints and pull all the pieces tightly together with masking tape. Get yourself some methylene chloride with a syringe on the end and run the syringe allong the inside edges. it doesn't take much. Capillary action will draw in the solvent. If the edges are prepared well the joints will be nearly invisible.

I was just admiring some clear plastic covers over some displays at a local art museum. The joints were absolutely clear. The edges must have been absolutely straight and polished before gluing.

KustomK8 describes the procedure. Methylene chloride will work for Plexiglas (acrylic); does anybody know if it works on Lexan (polycarbonate)?

The edges do need to be straight but not polished a but joint is fine.
they can be
1) wet sanded
2 smoothed by scraping
3) cut with a trim router.
4) milled smoooth
use this for a bonding agent
ecomplastics_2121_4797234

Yes this will bond poly carbonate as well.
I used to work in a shop that did a lot of plastic work inculing making dispaly boxes.

I do not recomennd methalene chloride. I do work for a place that packs the stuff. the packing is done in an islation booth. No one is allowed in the booth with any open containers unless they have a full HAZ MAT Suit, boots gloves ,full tye chem suit and a forced air hood . Unless you have a hazmat suit or a lab hood do not mess with it.
I remember a co worker at one place telling of using methalene chloride for welding plastics. he died of cancer a few years ago at the age of 50 .

Work safe guys
Tin

Ok Folks I am being a bit two faced here. weldon 4 contains Methalene cloride as well as methelacralate monomers.
so I have to take back the do not use the methalene cloride statment. But do use exteme caution as it is a known carcinagen. http://www.curbellplastics.com/technical-resources/pdf/bond-acrylic-weldon-4.pdfAgain work safe know your hazards.
wear glaves and use extreme ventalation.
Tin

Methylene chloride at one time was the main ingredient in paint remover such as Zip Strip. The company I used to work for used methylene chloride as the solvent to extract the bittering agent from hops in order to package it for shipment to breweries around the world. One of our competitors used hexane as their solvent of choice. It was just as bad if not a worse hazard. One time they had a spill of hexane that ran down into the city storm drains. The city knew something was amiss when man hole covers started launching into the air in that neighborhood. Both companies searched for a safer solvent for this purpose. They both found the same safe solvent about 30 years ago. Believe it or not the new solvent is CO2!

Follow Tin Falcon's advice. I have found some solvents produce nice clear joints in acrylic (Plexiglas) but when used with polycarbonate (Lexan, Tufex, etc.) the joints are slightly cloudy, but still secure.

Latest posts

Back