PaulS Shop - continued....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulS

Reaction score
The "Enforcer" is for when I turn out parts that don't appear to have been "made on purpose".
I actually cut that hammer out, many years ago, by hand, with a "fire-axe" - much younger then!!

The other 3 pictures depict what I do when I'm not so busy!!

The Enforcer!.jpg

Lathe, Milling Attachment, Cross Slide.jpg

Bench.jpg

Part Made With Small Lathe.JPG

I don't understand how you can work in such a filthy shop!!! ;D
Seriously you need to organize those papers on your desk, they throw the whole picture out! :eek:

That is some awesome work and an amazing jewellers lathe set up!
I am very jealous!!!

Is that tiny part for a watch?

Andrew

Andrew

Yep, the tiny part is what is referred to as a staff. It carries the balance wheel - the oscillating critter you see moving in an arc when viewing a running mechanical movement.
I couldn't locate a NOS replacement, so, this one had to made - the old fashioned way!

You've also uncovered one of the dilemmas for a photographer!! That is, "just how much of this do I want to own up to!". Thank goodness for cropping.............keeps everyone thinking that my shop is in great shape!!

Paul

Paul,

Very impressive work area and work.

Is it a common thing for watchmakers to mount the lathe at a diagonal like that?

Dennis

Dennis,

Actually I've never seen another setup with the lathe at that diagonal.
It's a setup that fits me.
Normally, that collet box wouldn't be where it is pictured, my left forearm would be there.
I keep my right arm fairly loose, and my left arm/hand supports the right. The bench is low enough to keep my right arm at a "normal" position, so I don't develop any "quivers".
And for height, the boom microscope keeps me upright enough to be in a more "natural" position.
It's all about comfort, which plays out in to steadiness.
Most of the time, I use a "graver" - tool similar to what woodworkers use to turn wood with by hand. Of course mine are somewhat smaller!

As the pictures show, I'm all about keeping that "creature comfort" - all the stands for the various equipment I made so that I could stand, not stoop, except for the Grizzly lathe - and so far, it's not a problem.
My backup is the barstool, and it gets used!

Paul

Great pictures all around Paul, in the and the first thread too. I am betting that microscope gets lots of use as well for those small watch parts!! Thanks for sharing your shop with us.

Bill

So...ummm...you'll be making the world's smallest V10 IC engine now? ;D

Troutsqueezer said:
So...ummm...you'll be making the world's smallest V10 IC engine now? ;D

Wow...........that "almost" sounds like a challenge!!

Doable? Very much so.............but, probably not something I'll attempt!!

Have I started on a "project" yet? No. Still contemplating the choices I see. Being retired allows that luxury!!
After years of "answering to customers", I'm trying hard to get in to the "hobby" mode!

Paul

Latest posts

Back