Optical Center punch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use my optical center punch almost every day, at work and in my home shop. it is great little tool that is easy to use and cheap to buy.

chuck

I guess I am another one of those odd ones. I've been a tool & die maker for over 50 years & I have never seen one or even heard of an optical center punch until this post. ??? ??? ???

I have some serious vision problems and one of them is that my eyes don't focus properly. It is impossible for me to set a punch on a crosshair now. The optical center punch is the answer for my problem.

I haven't got one and don't feel very left out. If I had one, I'd only use it occasionally since I don't often do traditional layout type things.

That said, I'm an expert on some other forums and it can get very tiresome when the same question is asked over and over again. After a while the experts just quit responding. I know this forum guidelines are that questions shouldn't be answered with just "do a search", but sometimes that's the best answer. If you have done one, say so up front.

The advantage of adding to an appropriate existing thread versus starting a new one is the information is consolidated in one place for the next person that does go looking for it-- they don't have to read a dozen topics that have largely the same content. Links back to appropriate topics are also good.

Before I joined this forum, I had never heard of an optical center punch. I was very intrigued by the discussions on this forum, but I still couldn't figure out exactly what an optical center punch actually was. I went up to a tooling supply house and seen one first hand, and yes, they are a nifty device. I may buy one.---Brian

I must admit I am confused about the debate on answering questions? If an 'expert' doesn't want to reply rather than tell someone to search google, then he or she, doesn't even need to reply, as there will certainly be someone on this forum who will be more helpful.

All roads lead to Rome, it is the path towards the destination that brings adventure

Destination, Center Punch mark; Path, Horse and Buggy or Batman Tool Belt

“One of my favorite tools is the optical centre punch, worth its weight in gold!”
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2870.msg32704#msg32704

“It is an optical centre finder, made by an American company, and as useful as a bowler hat with sleeves.”
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=661.msg4181#msg4181

(basic complaint was the magnetic nature of this particular item)

“With mild steel its better to let the center punch drop into the scrive lines.”
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=661.msg4226#msg4226

All roads lead to Rome, younger days the scribe line methods worked fine. Could actually see detail and the sense of touch wasn’t affected by the cooler climate of this area. Great Northwest my A%$ ! Optical punch, it, in my case at least combines the locating the punch to the scribe line intersection and subsequent checking that I actually am on the mark by using a magnifying glass to visually double check before applying the “whack”

So before I journey to a new destination I usually “Search” out what those before me have to say and put on my tall boots before I step onto the road before me.

Metal Mickey said:
I must admit I am confused about the debate on answering questions? If an 'expert' doesn't want to reply rather than tell someone to search google, then he or she, doesn't even need to reply, as there will certainly be someone on this forum who will be more helpful.
You would think so, but often no. In that field rumor and "I heard from ... " abounds and is usually incorrect.
The people that ask reasonably intelligent, researched questions (even newbie Q's) get world-class advice. The others, not so much.

You can only give so many people a fish before you become tired of fishing.

The little light just came on. 2 posts prior did a search on "centre punch" and I only searched on "center punch"! Guess you miss half the posts if you forget that Canadians, Aussies, and British have odd spelling of some words. ;)

black85vette said:
... Canadians, Aussies, and British have odd spelling of some words. ;)

Careful there, vette. I think you'll find that the British, etc. have properly retained the original French spelling of words like centre, theatre and cheque. It's we lot who have buggered up the spelling.

mklotz said:
Careful there, vette. I think you'll find that the British, etc. have properly retained the original French spelling of words like centre, theatre and cheque. It's we lot who have buggered up the spelling.

Amongst other things :bow:

JS.

Gimme a break here, Sir John. It's not like we invented the Reliant or something appalling like that.

mklotz said:
Gimme a break here, Sir John. It's not like we invented the Reliant or something appalling like that.

Not only that but we invented the Heavy Goods reliant as well

13539-mhx.jpg

:big:

JS.

Hi All

John S,

TOUCH'E thats a fine looking craft isn't it.

Reminds me of a scammell on a diet :big:

Kind regards

Malcolm

John Stevenson said:
13539-mhx.jpg

:big:

JS.

Did they ever find any of those three wheeled thingies laying on their sides after going around a sharp curve? I assume not since it dosen't look like it could get up any great speed. Just curious.
Tri-cycle style vehicles are noted for tipping over in a sharp turn.

Bernd

Gee, Bernd, from the picture I thought it was lying on its side.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, who always had such good things to say about the English...

The Reliant looks as if it was designed by someone who had frequently heard of automobiles but had never actually seen one.

Nothing wrong with Reliants - had this for 9 years never let me down.
bondbug.jpg

Latest posts

Back