Old Barn find

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tin Falcon said:
PB Blaster is a trade name of penetrating oil.

Cool. Thanks, Tin. I was concerned I may have to give up my supply of Jif for the shop. :big:

BEst regards,

kludge

Stu, Thanks for the article. Do you have ANY idea how to remove the 2 collars from the lead screw that are on the right hand end of the lathe???? They appear to be stainless or nickle plated. I need to remove them to get the lead screw out but I cannot get them to budge. I don't know if they are screwed on, pressed on or what.
Any ideas???
Thanks,
Julian

PS: For others that is correct on the PB Spray. It is a excellent penetrant.

Julian Just did a little poking on my copy of that lathe the collar on the outside near the knob spins freely it appears to be just a spacer the other one will turn about 1/4 turn with finger pressure. so base on my limited observation it appears that they are not threaded. The on the inboard one may have been Pressed on not sure if it is a press fit that has loosened or a loose fit that is somewhat seized. based on the location probably a press fit. do you have to remove both collars or if you just remove the rh one will the lead screw slide through the head stock ? I would think that that collar spacer is a simple enough part that if needed it can be sacrificed . you could just do a little surgical removal with a abrasive cutting wheel on a Dremel or the like.
Tin

Back