New Beginning. It all starts somewhere

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lndshrk25

Reaction score
So, I've always wanted a steam engine. Loved the smell, sound and the real hands on approach to running these machines.
I'm a tinker, i love to mess around with just about anything. i put together plastics models, dabbled in woodworking with mild success. Recently..well for a couple years now ive been working in a Metal Fabrication Factory (Heavy Press Operator) stamping body parts.
Sitting out front one morning enjoying my coffee n cigarette i had a light bulb moment. I have access to all sorts of metal and very qualified machinist to ask for advice. So i began to cobble together an idea. This picture started about a year ago, i've had a bit of forward progress but i am doing this from no plans or any idea on how these things go together.
I am having a hoot, but i think the toolies are getting bit annoyed cause i don't speak their language

15078726_10154517566695491_2265849601916810071_n.jpg

15085617_10154517566620491_7873601674932577553_n.jpg

Very cool, I love your enthusiam:)
What's the throw on the crank, (measured from centre of crank, to centre of crank pin) as this is directly proportional to the length of piston you need. What's the bore size? (cylinder inner diameter? Its quite a large lump, and would need a serious boiler to power it. Also when machining the cylinder, you may need to chamfer thecorner by the inlet, to allow the steam to enter and start acting on the piston, before the crank has turned Top or bottom dead center.

keep us posted with photos as this looks quite an impressive build:)

Hi there, my throw is 2 inches, crankshaft is 12 inches long, cross head assembly is 12inches long, piston rod 12 inches, piston and heads are 10 inches, inside barrel 4 inches round, the piston itself is 2 inches perhaps 3, id have to measure it again.

Put together my cross-head assembly, it has been revised since ive taken these pictures

ricks pics 772.jpg

ricks pics 774.jpg

So this photo is pretty much were im at today. Things were starting to rust so i thought id throw on some paint. Now i need to figure out where to put my air inlets so i can start on the "steam" chest. Then on to wrapping my head around the Eccentric size.

ricks pics 825.jpg

Back