Never enough space

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So unfair CC, Arnold,,,,, three swarf magnets each ........... :(

RobWilson said:
So unfair CC, Arnold,,,,, three swarf magnets each ........... :(
CC's magnets is definitely superior quality to mine, but, I think in terms of maintenance across the board it takes equal amounts of effort! Rof}
In fact, on their own, and even worse coupled to the de-burring tool I posted in the break room about, the whole lot takes away a lot of shop time ;D

Regards, Arnold

I like the de-burring tool Arnold :big:

A little more progress today,

all the big lumps are out of the Van and in the Workshop, I've measured up and widened the space I'd created ::)

DSCF4006.jpg

DSCF4004.jpg

together with 2 boxes containing loads of R8 Collets etc, power feed, tilting vice (that weighs a heck of a lot as well) a boring head set and a few other bits

Anyway that's as far as I can go for now till my two son's can come around and help out .............. I think even with the 3 of us it's going to be hard, but do-able ................... hopefully tomorrow evening.

CC

Nice lumps! Good luck moving the stuff, be careful, and take pictures. ;D

Like Rob & Vernon stated: Nice lumps 8)

I'm pretty sure you'll have lots of fun with it, once you get it all "lumped" into your workshop ;D

Regards, Arnold

Very nice new toy there, CC :bow:
You've come back with a vengeance :)

Did you get a DRO with it?
You gonna move the DRO from the X2 to it? Hope you at least got scales for it.

Cheers,
Kevin

Oooohhh that looks nice CC

I missed out on one of those on Eb*y a couple of months ago - the seller pulled the auction as he did a deal offline (wasn't with you was it !)

Was it advertised or a friend of a friend job.

Cheers

Jim

Kevin, no DRO but I'm hoping to transfer the one from the X2, as far as I can see I'll just need to replace one scale, two of the existing ones should transfer, but I'll know better once I'm set up ............. small steps I'm afraid :mad:

Jim, no wasn't me but I think I know the one you mean, was it the one with the Newall DRO. I've seen about 3 on ebay over the last few months and all of them were withdrawn, I assume because someone had done a deal.

CC

Hi CC, yes the one I wanted had the Newall DRO - I actually contacted the seller when it was pulled and he told me he let it go for £800 which seemed like a bit of a bargain to me (I think it even included a vice etc)

I've ended up with an Elliott Juniormill which I think the 626/VMCs are based on - at least they appear to be similar in design.

Please post some pics when you attach the DROs as I'd be interested to see how you mount yours. It's something on my 'must have' list but need to let the bank balance recuperate from the mill purchase first :)

Cheers

Jim

Blimey Jim if that one sold for £800 including the DRO someone sure got a bargain ::) ............ the new price of mill + Newall DRO is I believe well over £2.5k and that's without any tooling ................ Oh well, as you say, if that's the case .............. :eek:

Rob, Cheers :D ............ third time lucky, hopefully :mad:

anyway ............. a better evening, after a busy, and very physical day at work (for which I'm getting far too old ;D ) .......... my lifting appliance's arrived ..............

DSCF4007.jpg

and shortly thereafter .....................

DSCF4010.jpg

Handy having large son's ;D

Anyway, everything fits together, it spins over fine, the power feed works .......... very well .......... even the light works and the "one shot" lubrication squirts oil somewhere ................ which very shortly ends up in the coolant tray :big: :D :big:

at just before midnight, I felt it best not to spin it up and make a few chips, though I was sorely tempted ??? ............... Oh well, Thursday perhaps ........... I'll keep you posted ;)

CC

My, my. That's a tight fit!!
And I see your lifting equipment is properly lubricated with beer ;D

And it matches perfectly with the X2 color scheme ;D

Somehow I imagine you having to dodge the Boxford to get peek around the right corner of the mill table.

Kevin

Looking good CC , ;D looks like the belt cover will just clear the shelf too
Regards Rob

Yep - tight fit; can't wait to see what you find hiding in the chips later on ;D
And properly welcomed with a toast as well :D

Regards, Arnold

Well, I've spun it up and butchered a little aluminium (for our overseas cousin's please feel free to remove the spare "i" ) ;D

and it's seems like a nice piece of kit guys 8) ............. It's not really fair to compare the lil' X2 which weighs 55kg (120lbs) to a mill weighing 410kg (970 lbs) I 'spose ......... they are totally different machines,

I'll spend a little time playing with the new one and post my thoughts in the hope it might help others.

CC

Managed to get a bit of time playing with the Mill this weekend, and I have to say "WOW" ............ what a difference, it's in a different league to the X2; now I'm not knocking the X2, it's a great little tool but the 626 is even better than I expected 8)

I've not done anything exciting, just made a stop for the limit switch (only came with one), plus tried it out on a variety of materials, ally, brass, steel, titanium and cast iron, nothing phases it ;D ............. I only took 10 thou cuts on the titanium though ??? ..................... must sort out the coolant system ............ I feel another thread coming on ;D

Anyway, my ramblings are only offered to help anyone else considering a bigger machine, after I started using the X2 I quickly decided a bigger one was on the cards at some stage, my considered options were a S/H Bridgy (which won't fit in) an X3 or the 626, so in essence it was a choice between the latter two, I'm sure I would have been happy with a X3 but, I'm glad I waited for this one.

CC

Anyway, a question for you guys used to bigger mills ..................

On the X2 I have a locking pin to stop the quill rotating while I undo the draw bar to change tooling, there is no similar device on this mill, I've downloaded the Grizzly Manual and it says

"Keep one hand on the tool, loosen the adjustment hex nut, then completely unthread the drawbar"

It just doesn't feel right, how do you tighten and loosen the ER collet chuck

CC

CC,
Sounds like your first mod/project has found you ;D

My Powermatic has a pin that I must hold up that locks the spindle. Gravity will cause it to drop out, freeing the spindle. That's the theory, anyway. So, as you might expect it often stays stuck when I don't want it to and will fall out when I need it to stay up. It seems I need 3 or 4 hands to change tools, but I manage.

The pulley stack has 3 holes in the bottom for the pin to catch, so I don't need a full rotation to catch a hole.

The spindle is an R8 and somewhere along it's life it lost the pin inside the spindle that keeps collets etc from spinning, so once the tool is loosened I have to hold the tool to keep it from spinning inside the spindle while I undo the drawbar, all the while keeping the spindle from spinning as well.

Changing tools on the X2 is much easier...

Latest posts

Back