Need help - someone with access to a Hardinge DV-59

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

Reaction score
Hi all - there's a guy selling Hardinge radius cutting devices on eBay for the DV-59 second op lathe. I have an HLV-B which is essentially a narrow-bed HLV-H.

The Hardinge radius device is made like a Swiss watch, and I'd like to pick one up, but I am unsure whether the HLV-B bed is the same dimensions as the DV-59. I think it may be. The distance (width) across the top of the DV-59 dovetail (not split) bed is what I'm after.

Anyone who can help with this obscure request, you have my thanks.

I normally TRY to do research before posting questions, but this one had me stumped. I finally found the number... the DV-59 apparently has a 3.5" bed; mine is over 4" wide.

A shame because those Hardinge radius devices often sell for over $1,500, and this guy has NINE of them for the DV-59. Oh well.

Sorry to bother people.

I believe the DV-59 also has a half inch difference in center height than our HLV's. I believe some have made an adapter plate to convert radius attachements to Hardinge models to which they weren't originally intended.

Robin

What got me excited was when I read the HLV and DV-59 both have a 9" swing, so I assumed they would at least be close, but apparently not.

Hardinge made a variety of radius turning attachments over the years. When seen on eBay, they often go for THOUSANDS of dollars - it's a bit nuts. I have seen and played with one a bit, and they are indeed very nice, but how they can be valued that high, I am not sure. Maybe it's a "bragging rights" thing.

I don't do enough radii to justify the typical cost. Heck for $2,000 I can make something almost as nice.

Like you, a Hradinge radius attachment would be a nice to have item, but not something I would use often enough to justify the prices sellers thiink they are worth. Most sellers of Hardinge radius attachments and dividing heads must think they are made of gold that they would rather sit on indefinitely than to budge on the price so they might actually sell them. Even when priced much less, they generally still don't seem to sell all that quickly. There was a recent sale of a radius attachment for around $450, but the seller was too lazy to specify what model it was, for what model lathes it fit, or otherwise provide any dimensions of the bed width and center height - so the buyer was likely taking a chance, or didn't know any better. I've heard they are very well made, but I've also heard they are somewhat limiting in what they can do, which migh explain why so many used units appear to have next to no use.

Be patient, as a Hardinge dividing head had also been on my list of nice ot have items for almost a year. I was able to get an essentially brand new Hardinge dividng head recently, complete with tail stock and a full set of plates for only a few dollars more than it would have cost to buy an Asian made dividing setup. So, it can be done.

Robin

Latest posts

Back