Naval Deck Gun

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imation

Reaction score
Hi all.
It has been some time since I made a contribution to this forum.
I know this has been done before, indeed I wanted to build one after seeing it in HMEM.
A start was made a couple of months ago and it only requires work on the elevation and rotation mechanisms.
The bore was made 3/16" deliberately so as not to break any rules in Australia regarding guns!
The plans were very poor but I think I am well on top now.
The female part of the breech was broached in the mill by locking the spindle. The most difficult part was the cradle which required jigs to hold things whilst silver soldering.
I will post some more pics if anyone is interested or when I fit the elevating mechanism.
Cheers for now.

003 (1024x768).jpg

012copy2.jpg

016copy1.jpg

016copy2.jpg

017copy4.jpg

023copy3.jpg

Looks good! I have been wanting to build something similar for quite a while now. Whereabouts did you get the plans?

-Birchy

Thanks for the scans of the build article. Ill add it to my hoard of plans.

Hi All
Well some little brass gears arrived from China so I got stick into the elevator mechanism. A segment gear was made from a bit of mild steel the gears on each end deliberately left extra thick so the gear can not overrun the pinion. The segment gear was then pinned to the cradle Trunnion.
Training gear next.
Cheers
Mike.

030c.jpg

031c.jpg

033c.jpg

034c.jpg

035c.jpg

036c.jpg

037c.jpg

Latest posts

Back