N.A.M.E.S. 2010

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCF9609.jpg

Put to bed for the night.
DSCF9600.jpg

DSCF9603.jpg

two of the dealers in the small hall.

Looks to be shaping up as a great show. Lots of great looking projects,and since it has been a long day. And I'm beat I will leave you with a tease.
DSCF9604.jpg

Gary Davison's SNOW

DSCF9624.jpg

About 10 minutes into the show Saturday morning
DSCF9597.jpg

It's all here
DSCF9619.jpg

DSCF9621.jpg

A big thank you to PTsideshow, Bob (deere_x475guy), and Steve(huckss396)...and anyone else I have missed (and sincerely apologize for).

I really appreciate the time you all put in to describe the show, how it's put together, and all the wonderful work shown.

I'm very glad to see the pics and videos of NAMES. I hope to attend some day and meet you and any of the other members.

I'm with Zee. Thanks to PTSideshow, Steve and Bob :bow: for spending the time to post pics of a great show. I missed attending this year

Cheers,
Phil

I would like to thank all of the people that put on the NAMES show. It is a big undertaking to get all the tables, pipes and everything else set up. The attendance looked really good for Saturday but Sunday was a little thin. I kept my engines out till about 3:00pm and then started packing up but I only have a 3 hour trip.
It was good to see some old friends and meet new ones. It's like a non stop HMEM board, talk, talk, talk.
I think the quality and variety of the work gets better each year. There was eye-catching pieces in every corner of the hall.
In the past I have attended some of the seminars but there were so many people there Saturday that I couldn't get away. It was tough just getting to the washroom for a few minutes.
George D. Britnell

DSCF9661.jpg

Sunday morning shortly after opening, Total combined attendance of exhibitors,vendors, people from NAMES group and paying guests was in the neighborhood of 3,000. This was the 21st year it is the first, oldest, and largest running model engineering show in the US. The founders took a trip to England and saw a couple of their model and steam shows. and came back and started one here.
I know their are some say that it isn't the largest, but it doesn't have an auction hooked to it as another large shows does and that one is a for profit company. As the North American Model Engineers Society is a Michigan Non Profit Corporation.

The biggest problem we have is that as the exhibitors get older, they tend to leave on Saturday afternoon. so they can drive in more day light. It is something that I don't think will ever be solved.
DSCF9666.jpg

This is the arena at 6:30pm, some many people leave by 3pm that a lot of the small type busy work of pick up the wood card holders, and other stuff can start. Problem yesterday was the guy that drives the equipment for the city, has to service the operating ice rink for the figure skating ladies next to this arena so we had to wait for him to bring the trailers back in. Before we could unload the stuff to re store the hoses, cords and all the piping. till next year. We got out of there at 10:10pm and I was home by 11:00pm and dragging the seat cushion to bed!

A number of members, of the assorted forums showed up and seemed to be pleased with the shows etc And it is always a pleasure to meet and greet!

Some stayed and helped with the show Clutch and a number of members of the forum. Johnny D drove up from Fla for it. And a couple of other people also drove some distance. To Weston Bye and the others members that showed up and exhibited Thanks! George, and Craig were there and had the village presses wares and I know that there were other members there and I might not have seen. I hope you enjoyed the show.

They were a great number of very nice work this year in addition to the items that have been in the past. more photos later.

And to the rumor mongers and others that it just drives them crazier or stupider than they all ready are.

And a special one to the party, that contacted me from another forum and user name about what I was posting about the show. And I had no guts to use my real name so you tell me in person at the show how it sucked! I was as promised easy to find at the show all three days. As I had posted I was in plain view under the top hat with the sign. And you didn't have the equipment to come to a face to face! If you were even at the show.

And to ever was emailing the the notices that the show was canceled on Friday morning it didn't work. I got one of the emails.

All I can say is, the line from the movie the Holy Grail; "I fart in your general direction!"
:big:

PTsideshow,

Thank you for taking the time to work on the show and share your photos.

It is people like you that make this a great forum and hobby.

Don't worry about the little people out there that try to cause trouble.

There are plenty of good people around to spend your time with.

SAM

Well the brothers & I just got back from our road trip to NAMES last night. It was a wonderful trip and good chance for brotherly bonding. Left home last Wednesday and took a leisurely drive up through Northern WI. to the lower part of the Mich. U.P., and down along the Eastern shore to Detroit. Spent a day at the show, another day at Ford museum. Then a leisurely drive to Sault Ste Marie, along the Northern U.P., and down through WI. to drop off little brother, & then home to MN.. The other brother still had another 100 miles to go to his home.

The show was great. The talent to be seen at this show was way beyond my expectations. I had a chance to meet and talk to some of the HMEM members, George, Steve, Chuck, Roy, to name a few. I'm sure I talked to many other HMEM members without knowing who they were. (Sure would be nice to have name badges for everyone at these shows.)
There are a lot of photos of the show, but I wish everyone could see and hear George's and Steve's engines in person. They run flawlessly.

I have to thank PTsideshow and everyone in his organization that sponsored this show. In reading some of his comments, it sounds like there is some controversy going on, but what ever it is certainly wasn't apparent at the show. This was the first, and probably last major engine show that I will see in my lifetime, and I thought it was extremely well put on. It is hard to imagine how they were able to plumb that entire building with air without air leaks all over the place.
The parking, registration, food, displays, etc. Were all reasonable and convenient.

I am about a week behind on the HMEM forum so I guess I had better start getting caught up.

Well thank you, had a number of emails from a couple of the usual suspects. They seem to only take delight in trying to ruin it for any one that might enjoy it. I guess the party, that was sending "the Show is Canceled" emails out. Must have been disappointed about the news that it was not only on but, the vendors, exhibitors and the paying public all had a great time.

There were air leaks but only small ones as somebody only hand-tightened the table manifold piping together. But that just a fact of life with a pipe layout change from last year.

The quality of work done seems to be rising each year.

I hope, you can make it back and bring an engine or two next time. Will try to get my pic's up soon. As I'm off to cut the 40 at my parents house, take a week off and it is knee deep according to my mother! ;D

I am back in Maine now, just under 2,000 miles round trip. I met up with 7 friends in the Boston area and we all drove out in a rented 15 passenger van.

I admit I was worried about space at the show, but it all worked out fine- our group had plenty of room together.

I still like the Toledo site better, but I understand the reasons for the move and agree it has to be. It was nice having the hotel connected to the show in Toledo, but we stayed just a bit over a mile away, so it was not a big deal.

My seminar was well attended, the room was quiet and the projector worked well, so all well on that front.

I sold a few items on the consignment table, and found a few treasures I 'needed'.

Great show, my 20th, and I expect to be there again next year.

Thanks to PT Sideshow and all the others in the NAMES crew for a great show. I certainly enjoyed the entire weekend and look forward to returning next April.

We left Sunday afternoon and drove to Auburn, IN. Next day, we toured the Aburn Cord Dusenberg Museum and found it to be an excellent display of historical automobiles and related history.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Yes thank you for driving, as far as you did, if you had heard any of the rumors about the demise of the show. Steve Hucks and other members of the Detroit area metal working club helped, with set up and tear down. It is appreciated, the powers to be are mulling over the comments in the suggestion box and from the show floor.
We will have the other arena for next year, they are making arrangements with a local minor league hockey team for rental of their floor to go on top of the ice. It is supposed to be better than the last two floors. There is also the discussion on adding more electrical drops to the tables.
So planning for next years show started with the closing of the doors on the storage trailers Sunday night! :big:

I know their are some say that it isn't the largest, but it doesn't have an auction hooked to it as another large shows does and that one is a for profit company. As the North American Model Engineers Society is a Michigan Non Profit Corporation.

Just to be clear, Cabin Fever is a larger show by just about any measure- more vendors, more exhibitors and much more floor space. Enough that they have a boat pond and large G scale train layout. The management of Cabin fever is one guy, Gary Schoenly and his son Jarred, not a corporation. The auction is the day before the model show and in my view a nice addition to the show.

I see no reason we need to get into this 'mine is bigger' stuff. Both are excellent shows, I attend both and plan to as long as Im able. They are not competitor but complimentary events.

RonGinger said:
I see no reason we need to get into this 'mine is bigger' stuff. Both are excellent shows, I attend both and plan to as long as Im able. They are not competitor but complimentary events.

I think it is silly also, But there are some people that just can't give it up.
They tend to send emails about things. Why they won't post in the open forums I don't now.

But the point is that Cabin Fever show/auction is a FOR PROFIT company. They don't have the STATE NON PROFIT regulators, checking the paperwork for all the dotting on the i's and crossing the t's.

Non profits in Michigan cannot, run what would be 3rd party auctions or auctions that take only a percentage of the profits of items sold. Items must be donated to the group and then all monies raised stay with the group.

Same reason the Exhibitors sales tables, were not a NAMES operated/profit generating venue since we have moved back to Michigan.

As to the number of vendors,at a Non profit event(Michigan) the ratio of vendors allowed to exhibitors is a a% based number, before it becomes a trade show type event. There are more things that dictate the operation of a NON PROFIT event(Michigan). We have a number of lawyers that are with the group or hired by the group to translate the legalize.

We had a pond years ago, nobody used it, and no extra bodies to put it up and take it down.
I have been told by a local model boater, that they don't come because a lack of a prize giving contest, and that years ago there were issues between some people. All before my time, and of no interest.

They also have a larger population base/area that can make the drive to the show. I have no problem with any of the shows/expo's etc. but you have to compare a FOR PROFIT COMPANY to the same. And NON PROFIT to the same.

I answer the pm's and emails on these forums so they can see that there is nothing to hide. As I will not be draw in to an email war or what ever they call it.
;D

From what I read here, I think the point you are trying to make is, The "for profit" shows have greater freedom to do what they want. NAMES has to hold back on auctions and consignment sales to retain their "non profit" status. They also need to keep a high percentage of exibitors over vendors.

Is that correct? Don't want to put words in your mouth.

This was only my 4th year at NAMES and 2nd as an exibitor. I have never been to Cabin Fever but hope to in the future. With the NAMES and Zanesville shows being the only shows I have been to, I would have to say I like them both and will continue to go to both and hope to add CF to the mix. They all have the same group of good people, the smell of the fuel and sounds of the engines reving and the chug of the steamers. I love being around all that. They all seem to have what i'm looking for.

If you are someone who has anything to do with putting on even the smallest show, THANK YOU!!

YES, and the non profit has to follow guidelines, supplied by the agency that oversees them in the state. And every state is different. Were a for profit can do most anything within the boundaries of the law.

As you know Steve having volunteered to help set it up this year. It runs on the graces of the people that help out. And I would say most do it to help promote the hobby.
;D

It has been a week since the NAMES show and I have viewed my photos and photos from others that were at the show and every time I see something new that I hadn't noticed before.

I also can think of many questions I wish I would have asked while I was there. Too late now!!

There was one RED WING engine there and I would like to talk to the owner, but didn't get his name. If he is on HMEM, perhaps he would be so kind as to PM me. If any other HMEM members that might recognize the engine and know the owner, would you PM me.

This is the engine:
2010Detroittrip006.jpg

Perhaps PTsideshow might have some info on this display.

Nope it looks to be a first time there, Don't recognize it. Red Wing is now produced by PM Research out of New York.
Pretty nice looking one.
:big:

Thanks PT. Hopefully he is a member and will see this post someday.

The reason I would like to talk to the guy is I have two Red Wing engines like his, but neither run as well as his. I watched him start his time after time by just flicking the flywheel c-clockwise against the compression and it would bounce back and start running. I would like to get some hints on his ignition system & timing. It was so crowded that I couldn't stop to ask many questions. I just moved along with the crowd to the next inspiration.

Latest posts

Back