My Zero Six

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpaul

Reaction score
The Zero Six was featured in the May-June 2006 issue of Model Engine Builder. Dario Brisighella authored the original plans for this horizontal single cylinder, IC, Hit and Miss engine

This is my version of Dario's engine.

Z_6_side.jpg

Z_6_rear.jpg

My modifications to Dario's design:
1.0" Bore and 1.5" Stroke
Base redesigned for weldment
Hopper eliminated in favor of a remote cooler of some sort
Carburetor, Rocker Arm, and Rocker Arm Post from Jerry Howell's Farmboy project
One piece crankshaft, Aluminium Piston and Cast Iron rings

At last it runs!!
Future plans call for a remote cooler ?? paint and polish ?

A special word of thanks to this board. I received a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from the messages posted here.

Wow... very nice!!

Any chance the video could be posted on YouTube? The video that's there doesn't work for me.

PM

That's what I'm talkn' 'bout!!! I have a fondness for the hit and miss engines, started with full sized ones and has trickled down to the little ones. If you go to the Gas Engine Magazine websight and look around at the full sized engines, you'll find that you need to make a screen cooling system for your engine. But space looks to be tight on the skids that the engine is mounted too, anyway, good luck.

Very nice build. I really enjoy seeing scratch built engines. It's not that I don't like castings but I know how much work goes into building something from bar stock.
gbritnell

Thats a nice job, I do prefer the Hiot & miss engines to look more like they were cast rather than a few bits of alloy plate screwed together.

I fabricated mine and bought cast flywheels but stuck with a hopper. Mechanically its all as the published plans.

Jason

JPaul,
Very nice. Looks good and runs good. Thm: :bow:
Gail in NM

jpaul,
Very Nice, looks good and it runs good. Congrats

Tony

Great looking engine, Jpaul.

Chuck

JP,

Great job. :bow: :bow:

Hope mine is half as good.

Best Regards
Bob

Paul,

Looks, runs and sounds great. Congratulations.

Think about a SCHSM email pointing club members to this thread.

Than you all for your encouragement.

For me, Combining weldments and silver brazing into this build was educational. Doing so, I experienced some success and some failures. Now when I read a build log, I am more aware of the pit falls and I have a greater appreciation for the differences in technique. In addition, my inventory of tools grew a bit.

PrecisonMetal - I will try and post a YouTube video. I am new at the video aspect. The size of these files are frightening.

CMS - I like your suggestion for a screen cooler. I may need to change the base but often you have to step back to move forward.

Jason - It was your build of the Zero-Six that "sealed the deal" for me. Beautiful work!

Gbritnell - I can't thank you, Cfellows, GailnNM, Cedge, Marv Klotz (my fellow club member), Maryak and a few other prolific builders/writers enough. In my mind, your contributions are the driving force in promoting this hobby.

Many of us are not experienced in metal working but we are encouraged to try again and again, driven by your passion. We are blessed.

Happy New Year

I wouldn't change a thing on it Paul.

It looks great and runs like a champ.
Perfect build! :bow:

Rick

I have to admit, I started on one of these and wound up giving up on the project. I encountered many errors in the plans published in the magazine. One of them was the 2-56 hole locations for the pushrod guide in the side frame. It was off by almost 3/4" by print specs. I didn't feel like remaking parts. This engine is sweet though.

Greg

I raised the issue of several errors with Mike Remus within a day of looking over the plans. He got back to me after a couple of days with a pdf drawing of the corrections and these were published in a later issue of the magazine.

If you don't have these, pm me your e-mail as I think I still have the pdf somewhere and will send it to you.

Jason

Thanks Jasonb. I was going to redraw them in CAD, however, the PDF would be fine. A PM was sent. Thank you.

Greg

Hello!

I am from Germany and I love Hit & Miss Engines! :)
Even your is very beautiful!
But where do I get the building plan for the "Zero Six"?
I've searched through Google but unfortunately found nothing :(
Can anyone help me?

Nice Greetings
Robert

Latest posts

Back