My round version of Cedge's Diamond cutter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
I started out to make a diamond tool cutter like the one Cedge posted earlier. But after getting started I remembered the nice little round cutter that John uses and I have lusted over, so I made a few little changes and made a round tool. :eek:
I didn't have a piece of 1/4" round HSS steel so I heat treated a bit of mystery metal and it seams to cut fairly well. will get some round HSS on my next Enco order.
Mel
cutting out the tool holder (I know your not suppose to use a drill chuck, but I got lazy)
P1010001001.jpg

the parts and pieces
P1010003003.jpg

the tool in action
P1010006006.jpg

Thats pretty cool. How well does it work? definitely on my short list.

Eric

Yeah... what Eric asked....LOL I'm curious about performance too.

Steve

Iric, Steve, it cuts pretty good. The piece shown in the lathe is a 1" cold roll and it cut it great, nice little curls and very smooth surface. On aluminum it does a great job also. of coarse you can't cut up to a shoulder but like your diamond tool bit but it can be used to cut along a shaft or on a face without any changing of the tool. I have not had a chance to try different angles on the bit and I'm sure that will make a difference on how well it works. And like I said before, a proper piece of HSS tool steel or maybe even some carbide should make things a little better.
Now on to making one of your diamond tools. did you grind the diamond shape or can you buy diamond shaped steel?
Mel

The diamond shape comes from a standard HSS square blank (usually 1/4") rotated 45 deg. with the end ground at an angle, usually 30 deg. No fancy toolblank needed. ;D

Your round bit works much the same as the various tangential ball-cutters made from a boring head. Great idea!

Dickeybird, thanks for the positive comment. But it's not my idea, it's just my way of not spending $125 on someone else's tool. I don't think it's against any thing to reproduce something for your own use is it? The tool works great and the cost was minimal. The pleasure of sharing was even more!
Thanks
Mel

Latest posts

Back