my play area

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

When I built my new workshop around 4 years ago I tried not to skimp on anything. The roof is 18mm exterior ply supported on 4 x 2 beams every 2 feet. Good and strong, no problems there. The felt covering though has proved to be a problem. When I bought the felt at the local builders merchant I specified I wanted the best. He advised a base sheet and 4 rolls of heavy duty top sheet. Each roll was 10 mtrs long, around 32 feet. My workshop is 24 feet long so it meant cutting about 8 feet from each, bit of a waste, but I wanted to cover the roof with as few joints as possible. All was well till I went on to the roof a couple months back to clean the guttering and noticed little blisters all over it which had bubbled up and lost its green grit. I rang the merchant for some advise and was told "it sounds like heat blisters, only thing to do is recover the roof". Not with the C**P you sell I thought. Now my mate Julian did his workshop roof a year or so before me and he used felt shingles. As yet there is no sign of wear or damage to them so I thought that's the way I'll do mine. As I already have a base sheet and a top sheet that is still water proof I decided to lay the shingles straight on top which should give me a water tight roof that will hopefully see me out.

Here's a few photos of today's progress.

In this shot you can see I have laid the first few rows. The first row drops over into the guttering at the back. You can just see a string laid out as a guide line.

This is how the shingles are packed, 14 to a pack.

A shot from the other direction. Note an old piece of laminate floor I'm using to cut the shingles. They cut easily with a Stanley knife.

A clearer shot of how the shingles look when laid.

It will take a couple of days to finish, weather permitting. I'll post some more shots later.

Cheers

Rich

Awesome shop Rich!

How did the "Lab" turn out?

Hi Kev

It turned out great. My little sanctuary. The new roof shingles are now all on but I haven't had the opportunity to do the finishing trim etc. The weather keeps beating me most weekends.The main thing is the roof is on.

Cheers

Rich

Back