My Odds and Ends Hit and Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
Hi all, back in April of this year when Harold Lee posted the photos and video of his Odds and Ends Hit and Mill engine, I fell in love with it and had to make an attempt at building one. I bought a copy of The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos and started gathering material.
Now I'm nearly done with the roughing out work and just waiting for a spark plug and a set of points to come. Once I see it will run I will take it a part and clean up some of my rough and sloppy machine work and try to make it presentable.
I thought I might start posting some photos of my progress and hope some of you will speak up and make some suggestions for making it better.
This first set of photos is of the frame and it's building. The material is 2"X3"X3/8 hot rolled angle iron.
050208010.jpg

sawing the angle iron for the frame

050208012.jpg

Milling the frame half. this was all most more that my little mill wanted to handle.

050208014.jpg

frame fitted and the block of steel. I scraped the steel block and used aluminum. I knew I couldn't mill out the steel block

050308001.jpg

cleaning up the bottom of the frame with the fly cutter.

050408011.jpg

Milling the frame sides

050408014.jpg

More frame milling.

I'll post some more photo later
Mel

looking good mel 8) ............keep us posted
you are right it makes a good little engine ;D

chuck

To continue on with my story of my Odds and Ends engine. I built the crankshaft next from a piece of hot rolled steel 1/2 x 1 1/4 I won't show you the first attempt (may it rest in peace) I didn't follow the instructions.
Had to make a lathe dog to turn the crank between centers
DSC01320010.jpg

next the con rod journal using a cut off tool to reach in to the journal.
DSC01306015.jpg

The bolt in the center helps stop any warping and bending while turning the shafts.
DSC01321011.jpg

I missed a bunch of steps so no crankshaft by it's self, but here it is mounted in the frame.
DSC01358009.jpg

I will continue on later today
Mel

Latest posts

Back