my first steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, Frank, in your quest for a better "casting look", there are threads out there to be found on how to do that with a bar stock engine (though I regret not having any links at the moment). I recall various kinds of sand/bead blasting work. The one that made the most sense to me was to mix very fine sand into your paint. On a real engine, the cast surfaces would be painted and the machined surfaces probably not anyway, so it works out pretty good.

Great work again!

Best,

BW

PS For those that haven't seen Frank's T&C Grinder because the images were too big, I resized and rehosted them on cnccookbook:

15_03_2008_1.jpg

15_03_2008_2.jpg

15_03_2008_3.jpg

Frank, I don't know if you'd be willing, but we'd love to see more of your shop and the CNC converted machines. Post a few snaps in our section of member's shops:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?board=6.0

Cheers!

BW

Hello Bob,

your hint about painting to get the casting-look i knew.
but - i've tried to get it this way, because it has to be milled anyway.
At the last pass (finish) i play around with feed and speed until the mill began
to flutter :)

the pictures:
i don't insert the pictures direct because it's a forum for engines like steam or gas i thought.
and the links are in high resolution that everyone can zoom in (most details only visible in closer look)
but thank a lot
(when i came new to somewhere i didn't shoot more than the destination - thats another reason for links only)

pictures of my shop:
few days after finish of the steam i placed my location.
a few distance only but i have disassembled all machines and none assembled completly
(and its very cold in my shop - no heater because 80m² and 4m high are expensive to heat all time - so i go to assemble when really funny and lucy and need a stress reminder :p
But i will shot some pics next days and upload - and some project-part-pictures too

next machine: yes - it will happen - but take some more time.
Yesterday i ordered a book for the 270 offy to see the 4-valve head
and this - the next - project will get alu castings
most details are fixed: injection, 4valve, oil sump, 4 OHC, spark ignition, ...
only the count of cylinders (and maybe the angle between cylinders) will depend on ... (don't know - maybe sound)
also a charger i'm thinking about - like roots

i was asked via PM how long the TC Grinder has taken to build
in working hours between 300 and 400
in days: below 26 (there are weeks there i can't sleep more than 3 hours a night - over a distance of a month or 1.5)

Frank

it's me again - nothin' on engines but related to my machines :)

sometimes my wife ask "what the hell you do all the time ..."
or "where did you spent all the energy time and money ..." and so on

to get a little bit more contingent i milled a christmas toy (40" tall)
but it has to be finished next days ...

(please click on image)

Frank

Beautiful work Jimmy.
What is that valve gear called? I'd like to research it.

Rgds, Lin

Frank, I had a question that occurred to me late in the game:

Your cylinders have such nice flowing curves. Was that a 5 axis (or perhaps 4 axis) profiling job done on your swing table (we call 'em trunion tables here I believe)?

If so, I'll bet that was interesting g-code to write!

Their shape is lovely and makes the engine look even less "bar stocky".

Congrats on your Engine of the Month. Well deserved.

Best,

BW

Hi Bob,

the GCode for was written manual and has only few lines.

the outer dimensions of the cylinder you a meaning are milled in 3 axis
and 4 setups (4 times viced)
The rest is step over a few distance and repeat the code - i think
more than 100 times - and at last mirrored for other side.

sample in metric setup, radius 15mm, only "casting look-face":
G40 G90 G18
M3
G0 X0 Y0 Z1
G91
M98 P9999 L180 (call O9999 180 times)
G90
M30

O9999
G1 Z-1
G2 X-15 Z-15 I0 K-15
G0 Z16
G0 X15 Y.1
M99

this short code is nearly enough for back side
benefiz of this kind of code: Mach3 Demo will work this code - not reached 500 lines of code :)
i have a licence - but to lazy as to write 700 lines ...

but it was the last object i've done without CAM - i'm awaiting for my access code
(bobcad-cam)

Frank

BTW: thanks :)

That is beautiful engine!!
Well done and please do not let your first one be the only one. We all look foward to what will come next!
Your valve linkage does not appear to be the common stephenson setup normally seen on vertical marine engines. Could you please give us some information on how yours works, especially how the action is reversed.

If you want to get cast looks from a machined cast iron component blast the part hard with a sand blaster. works very well

Latest posts

Back