My First Engine Build

Discussion in 'General Engine Discussion' started by c_mario, Aug 20, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 14, 2018 #21

minh-thanh

minh-thanh

minh-thanh

Hi c_mario !
    When you assemble piston and cylinder, it is dry and clean ? With my little experience of do it is: keep the piston and cylinder dry and clean, and then make it easy to determine whether it is sealed or not .

2. Sep 21, 2018 at 10:17 AM #22

c_mario

c_mario

c_mario

Well, I have checked the piston, remade the front housing for crankshaft , remade venturi, remade cylinder liner to lower the transfer ports, sealed front housing and backplate with gasket sealant, made gasket for cylinder to crankcase yet I still cannot get it to keep running. It will fire almost every time I flick it but just wont keep running. I see the glow plug glowing through the exhaust port so I know its lit, I've checked that the needle closes completely by trying to blow through the fuel tube while slowly opening the needle valve and it definitely cuts off flow. I've primed by choking and flicking over the engine and via a syringe directly into cylinder through glow plug hole. Always get same result, engine fires a couple of times on each flick but will not keep running. I tried a drill to start it but I don't have a spinner on the prop so the nut tends to undo trying to start it. It seems a little excessive to go buy a starter and spinner at this stage just to try to start it, but I may do this out of frustration.

3. Sep 22, 2018 at 4:57 AM #23

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Moderator Moderator Global Moderator

A plastic spinner shouldn't cost much and you can whip up a spinner driver to fit your electric drill I'm sure, just a bit of turned aluminium and maybe some rubber from an old bike/car inner tube should do it. I remember from my RC days that a visibly glowing glow plug isn't a completely foolproof test. If the glow plug battery is a little low, the plug will glow nicely in the air/engine but the cold fuel cools it down very rapidly. A couple of times at the field having starting problems, changing plugs, etc. and then borrow a fresh glow driver and it would fire straight up. Might not be your issue but is something to remember.