MT Spindles for Lathes and Mills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

Reaction score
Hi
I want to make a spindle tool using a commercially available spindle, perhaps a new spare part. I want something easy to put taper bearings on, hopefully just for that purpose, and with an internal morse taper. I can't find anything on the net myself. Any suggestions?
Ant

Taig and Sherline make small spindles,,,,but I don't think that is what you asking?

Dave

I'm not quite sure of what you're asking either. You want to make a spindle out of a spindle? What are your requirements, length, taper, bearing size, or do you want to make a tool to remove and replace bearings on a spindle?
gbritnell

Yeah not sure what you are getting at here. Many wood lathes have MT spindles maybe a cheap or used wood lathe would fit the bill and use the head stock.
No idea what you are trying to do but this should allow you to hold MT tooling and spin it either with a motor or add an indexing plate or gear and use it for simple indexing.
Tin

Like others, I am not sure of what you are looking for. Enco sells hardened and ground MT sockets in all MT sizes and various ODs but they are quite short (only 4.75" in MT3).
If this is any help try looking at

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=214-8709

The series runs from 214-8701 to 214-8719

Hi,
What I want is basisally a naked spindle only with a MT2 or MT3 taper. The outside of the spindle should have maybe 2 opposite shoulders to enable one to fit a pair of taper bearings. Then I shall make the housing for the outer races of the 2 bearings, the housing to my own requirements. I suppose all I really need is a new spare spindle for some small lathe or milling machine. If there is a choice I will go for the one that has the simplest bearing requirements.
Thanks guys,
Ant

Ant,

There's a series of workshop books and there is one on spindles...it gives all you need (I think) to know. Here's a description and a link. I think you can order it on line for some place closer to you.

Regards

Philly

BOOK - SPINDLES
Item No: BK497
Spindles
By: Harprit Sandhu
What you can do in your shop is greatly enhanced if you own a spindle or two
with your lathe. This book
describes the design, construction and use of a variety of spindles that will
be of interest to the amateur
engineer. Milling, grinding and drilling spindles are covered along with a
unique light gear cutting frame
for clockmakers. 156 Pages.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=BK497

Ant: With your new info, then the MT sockets from Enco would work. They are long enough for two bearings and a pulley, gear or sprocket between the bearings. Longer might be nice, but the price is very attractive compared to buying a machine spindle. I haven't seen ground shafting with a MT socket in long lengths but it might be available. Don't overlook the possibility of buying the shaft and boring your own MT socket.

Hi Ant

Or another Idea if you can't find any spindle just like you want it:
You could buy a normal cylindrical shaft wiht a morse taper in it and then shrink fit or press a sleeve on it which has the required geometry. Or you just fit a bigger sleeve on it and then finish between centers. That way you could also be shure to get minimal runout.

If you dont' want to shrink fit or press on the sleeve, you can also glue it with loctite or some similar adhesive

Florian

Spindle for 9x20 lathe MT 3: was $100.00. check with Grizzly.
Hilmar

Back