mounting a micrometer head on the lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanN

Reaction score
This is really just a mounting method, so I don't know if it actually counts as a 'tool' but here goes:

Some years ago I bought a job lot of old tools and amongst them was a metric micrometer covering the range 150-175mm. This is way bigger than anything I would ever need and so I would normally have sold the tool on to someone else but it had clearly been jammed and force free at some point in its life - it carried the scars of vice or plier jaws in several places.

As it was not really usable as a micrometer, I adapted the measuring head to fit on my lathe saddle and cross slide, attached to the tee-slots.

I cut the frame so the part attached to the micrometer head included one of the 'weight reducing' holes then ground off the ribs that thickened the edges to make a level area to clamp on to.

1-cutdownmicrometer.jpg

This pic shows the mic mounted on the tee-bolt - the nuts holding the micrometer frame allow the height to be adjusted.

2-micrometerontee-bolt.jpg

Two pics of the unit in place on my lathe

3-micrometeronlathe1.jpg

4-micrometeronlathe2.jpg

I would not suggest buying a mic and ripping it to pieces, but the device has proved very handy for measuring steps, shoulders etc

Ian.

Latest posts

Back