Motorboys Vivell 09 Diesel Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, what a great job on this engine!! Woo!! Got a source for the castings?

Next, I just Googled 'Osborn centering method' with no results... Can you offer a description of this?

Thank you everbody for your comments. They certainly add to the accomplishment of getting the thing running!

Twmaster - the castings were obtained from Roger Schroeder, via the Classic Model Engines site, part of www.modelenginenews.org. Sadly, Roger passed away a couple of months ago, so the castings are not currently available. I spoke to a supplier in the UK at a recent model engineering show who states that he is looking to take over the supply of the castings.

As for the Osborn method - rather than confuse things, I will refer you to Ron Chernich's excellent site at www.modelenginenews.org, which has a description of the necessary procedure in the September 2008 editorial (use the links on the left hand side of the page to navigate). I wish I had found out about this method sooner, rather than struggling with a DTI for ages, trying to centre a workpiece. I have found that two passes of the procedure will have the object centred under the mill spindle to very close limits.

Regards,

Anthony

Anthony, that is great! What a treat to see this run. I just looked at the Model Engine News web site. What a terrific place.

It seems that method of centering was outlined in a video I recently saw. Although it was explained in a more simple manner in the video.

WOOO HOOO.

The egine may never leave the ground but I bet your walking on clouds! :big: :big: :big:
Congrats

Ron

Great job, Anthony. I like the sound of the engine.

Kenny

Beautiful Anthony!

There is a grin here as big as your own! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

Anthony,

Sorry to be late at congratulating you on your success but what a little ripper. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

It's great to see this run - that is quite a large prop there! - do you have any plans to make it fly?

Thank you all for your comments!

Martin - I don't have any plans to put the engine in a plane - I am too afraid of seeing my hard work take a nose-dive into the ground! :big:

The prop is towards the top end of the size range for this engine, I think. It is a 10x6 prop, the engine is 1.75cc (meant to be approx 1.6cc, but both the bore and stroke ended up being slightly more than the plan values). It was the only prop I had to hand that would fit onto the crankshaft without needing to be drilled out. I figured the larger diameter prop would provide more flywheel effect whilst the engine was running-in. It certainly doesn't seem to be overly stressed whilst turning it!

Once I cut the crankweb to balance the engine better, I will make some more runs and explore the engines performance a bit further...

Anthony

Latest posts

Back