Modeltec article for Maytag 1/2 scale, Nov & Dec 1990

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Reaction score
** edit: the article is in Nov & Dec 1990 Modeltec issues. I have the cylinder and piston left to do. Missing the CI material for the sleeve, so will be just short of finishing it this year. :-(

Folks,

I have a Maytag 1/2 scale casting kit that my father started a couple of years ago and now I will finish it. I believe I have all the castings and most of the diagrams. If an assembled diagram was included in the kit, it is missing now. Through research, I found there was a build article in Modeltec but the month/year was not noted. I did find an advertisement in Modeltec in 1996 for this casting kit offered at 93 dollars but no hint to a build article.

As Modeltec is no more, does anyone have this article and willing to send send me a scan of it? Any further info will be appreciated as the the spark setup is not apparent to me.

Thanks, - Reed

bump with additional info

Reed said:
** edit: the article is in Nov & Dec 1990 Modeltec issues. I have the cylinder and piston left to do. Missing the CI material for the sleeve, so will be just short of finishing it this year. :-(

Folks,

I have a Maytag 1/2 scale casting kit that my father started a couple of years ago and now I will finish it. I believe I have all the castings and most of the diagrams. If an assembled diagram was included in the kit, it is missing now. Through research, I found there was a build article in Modeltec but the month/year was not noted. I did find an advertisement in Modeltec in 1996 for this casting kit offered at 93 dollars but no hint to a build article.

As Modeltec is no more, does anyone have this article and willing to send send me a scan of it? Any further info will be appreciated as the the spark setup is not apparent to me.

Thanks, - Reed

Reed,
I have the November issue but do not have the December issue.

The November issue does not have much of use to you. It has a general assembly drawing, but that does not show any ignition components except the timer. None of the other parts or governor. The timer drawing is there, but that is just a phenolic tube with a brass insert in it. You probably have that drawing.

I can not scan it for you, but I will send you the issue if you PM me your address.

Gail in NM

Gail,

I sent you a PM.

If you have a digital camera and can snap pictures of the pages that would be all I need. I do little scanning anymore as I find it sufficient to drag out this simple copy stand (from my teenage photography days, amazing what one keeps :) ) and snap the pages I want to keep. If not I'll be very happy to return the postage to your return address.

The assembled diagram is missing in this, although it strictly is not necessary on engine. However this kit is not the best in having all dimensions or the castings. One area that _must_ have been corrected in later casting is the check valve well in the gas tank. It is significantly off center from the intake pipe located on the carb, however it is doable. :)

since we all like pics, I included some. The crankshaft was started, Dad had laid it out, did the conrod journal, and so I finished the bearing journal and throws. The bearing housing for the crank journal had the bearing hole drilled and reamed, but nothing else; I made a mandrel to mount it so to turn the restof the features.

The next pic shows the misalignment of the gastank check valve pocket in the casting. The carb build very clearly puts the hole for the gas intake where I have the hole drilled. The print's notes indicate to build the carb and locate the hole from the carb. This is an area that I _hope_ the articles clear up as they were published in 1990 and these prints are dated 1986.

The last is of the crankcase. I had it setup to bore the reed valve pocked and drill/tap the carb mount bolts. Note the 4 holes drilled in the surface closest to the camera. They are for the cylinder mount bolts. The prints noted there were to be located from the drilled holes in the cylinder's flange. The cylinder was not done, thus no holes drilled. Dad laid them out and partially drilled them (he always felt layout was the first step ;D ). Unfortunately they interfere with the crank bearing part's mounting holes and I'll need to plug/relocate/drill them.

All said, it has been an interesting emotional path working on the parts he started.

Thanks again, - Reed

P.S. I'll have to post another note to get the pic in of the redneck engineering that was used to locate thecylinder's 22 degree positioning of the spark plug hole.

MaytagCrankshaft4.JPG

MaytagBearingHousing2.JPG

MaytagGasTankCrankcasePoorCasting.JPG

MaytagCrankcaseCarbBoring.JPG

The following pic is the solution I used to locate the spark plug hole. The blind cylinder is positioned at 22 degrees per the print. The hole location could have been determined on the surface plate, but I had casting in the mill for the exhaust feature and pondered how I could locate the spark plug hole without transferring to the surface plate. Also, this feature has some significant tolerance as it does not mate up to another feature. In the print, the center line of the spark plug hole intersects the center line of the bore. There is a 1/16" ledge in the cylinder bore to register the sleeve thus giving me an edge for the ruler to touch. These were key for the following to be feasible.

I came up with using a couple of 4 inch rulers, a clamp, and some wood pieces for a spacer. The rulers are setup on the surface plate with the spacer between them. The ends of the rulers are lined up to be the same length and square to the spacer. In the pic you see the assembly inserted into the blind cylinder with the inside ruler on register with the top of the bore. The outside ruler transfers that position and it is lined up to the wiggler (appropriate positioning was made for the bore diameter and ruler widths). I now have my X position and proceed to drill the spark plug hole. ;D

- Reed

MaytagCylinderSparkPlugAlignment.JPG

Thanks for sharing the build Reed. Great photos.
I sent you a photo of part of the assembly drawing. If you want more, I will send the magazine.

HMEM adheres to strict copyright infringement rules, which I agree with, so I can not send you photos or scans of the entire article. What I sent you complies with the fair use doctrine.

Gail in NM

Gail,

Although I mentioned it in the reply to your email, thanks again for the assembly diagram. It looks like I'll get most of it done this holiday season before resuming the Day Job. The Playpen had the necessary materials except the cast iron for the cylinder sleeve so I'll be ordering that.

I agree with the copywrite laws and the views you stated. Even though Modeltec is no more, someone holds the copyrights to the articles. Now that I see the assembly diagram, the articles are not that important to me to search out copyright holders.

Enjoy the New Year,

- Reed
P.S. Since we like pics, here is one milling out the pocket in hte insulator for the copper timing piece (copper is in the pocket)

MaytagTimingInsulPocketMillingCopper.JPG

Latest posts

Back