Model engineer show at Royal Ascot 19-21st september 2008

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divided He ad

Reaction score
Hi, Just a quick post to ask if anyone else is going to the Royal ascot show this weekend?
I will be there on Saturday from 11-3:30 ish. Taking a shed load of photo's and some videos too I'm sure ;) Just thought if anyone else was there it would be nice to meet face to face.

The link is http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/Home.html Looks like it could be an interesting show.... But they all say that!! ;D

Ralph.

I'm not off to Ascot Ralph but I was thinking about the Midlands one in October ............ mainly because it's a lot nearer ::)

CC

I'm already planning that one too Dave ;D

Will sort that one when it gets a little closer to the date.

I would not usually go so far except that I have friends in Winchester and Croydon who can be visited and a bed will be provided ;D

Forward planning ;)

(relatives in Coventry for around the time of the midlands show too ;) )

Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

Yep I'll be going as the family home is just outside Ascot so I will have somewhere to bed down, the only thing is that I'm not sure which day as I will have brother-in-law and father in tow. It does look like a good show though, I've been looking forward to it for some time.

The Midlands show looks to be better supported by traders though so I will probable take a trip up there too.

David

Good to have friends to sponge off Rely On eh Ralph! :big: :D :big:

Hopefully we'll meet up in October then, I think it's your round for the first coffee ;D .......... do you think we can tempt Bogsie out of his hut for the day if we offer to buy lunch ;D ............... anyway, as you rightly say we can sort that out in a couple of weeks.

Have a good time at Ascot, we'll be expecting a full report with lots of piccys once the hangover clears 8)

CC

CC, I don't sponge.... I am happily welcomed.... Then told to leave! ;)

October it will be... Yes the coffee is on me... Well yours is, I'll have water or something similar :)

David, I will check this post definately on friday night and probably Sat' early AM!! so if it is a possibility We will both have the info :) If not... Midland show it might be?

Ralph.

Will let you know Ralph but it's looking like Sunday for me at the moment. It's always nice to put faces to names so I will try to get the outlaws to sort themselves out for Saturday instead.

Can't wait to look at the competition entries, they are supposed to be "legendary".

David

Dave & Ralph,

I would love to see you this time, but the body says not, see how it is in October.

Ralph, don't forget, the cutter man is there, be the first in the queue to get the best ones.

Bogs

Did Ascot last year but not doing it again this year, it was a brilliant show with it being the Centinery Centenary or round about a 100 years and having all the collected works of people like Cherry Hill etc

Didn't like the venue and DID NOT get on with the Ascot staff at all. First off told no lorries on the loading ramp as it wasn't designed to take lorries ???? then told it had a 7 tonne weight limit. Then told can't use the centre strip as it had to be kept clear for fire engines so the trucks had to stand on the 3 foot wide painted pavement.

Then they spent all day looking for trucks dropping oil on the varnished pebble dash [ I joke not ], told any oil dropped and the flooring has to be ripped up and relaid.

Bill from Chester threatened to deck the head suit ;D

When I told them they had better not have a fire as the average fire engine weighs about 18 tonnes there was silence.

On a race day that same loading ramp will hold about 2,000 race goers as it's part of the stand, 2000 x fat bastich = more than 7 tonne.

It's not an exhibition hall, it's a concourse, imagine going thru Heathrow and loads of stalls dotted about, well that's Ascot. Traders hate it, there is no power on the ground floor, it's all by drop leads from level 3, no phone lines for credit card machines. Brand new building and no disabled access at all.

I'll be at the Midlands show from Friday to Tuesday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday I'm on the Arc stand as usual upsetting people and taking the piss. Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I'm down to give a talk on CNC machines, all the Mach 3 crew are coming over from the States so that's a bit more to take the piss out of.

But of course, get down there for 8:55, up in the canteen for a full fried breakfast with a big side order of cholesterol and ketchup, quick fart, shake both trouser legs and raring to go for the day 8)

John Stevenson said:
full fried breakfast with a big side order of cholesterol and ketchup, quick fart, shake both trouser legs and raring to go for the day

Now that's what call an invitation ;D ............. book two seats for me n' Ralph 8)

Dave

Sorry the riff raff aren't allowed in until 10:00am :p

Well I don't know! you turn your back for 2 minutes and the whole thread goes crazy!!!

Well I'll still be there on Saturday and I'll still be at the midlands show I would suspect on a Saturday too!?

As a punter I will see and make up a post on a different view ;)

John.... I had already noted the cuttermans trade stand ;D ;) But thanks for making sure I saw it :)
Hopefully you'll be able to calender in the midlands show?

David, We can only hope that the in laws respect your need to communicate with like minded people.... Instead of the 'but what's it for,what does it do.... Is that it?' group!

We will see how it goes ;D

Ralph.

Well I must say I was a little disappointed with the show!

There was a distinct lack of tool traders and not as many builders as I hoped to see.

It has infact impaired my photo taking... I just didn't get the urge!?
I have taken a few photo's and will post a link to them tomorrow. There will be no video, I didn't find too much there running, not as good as the Harrogate show by a long shot!

Hope the Midlands one proves better... certainly promises a lot more... http://www.modelengineeringexhibition.co.uk/

Did anyone else go on any other day?

Grumpy.

IMHO Harrogate is THE show.
Don't know what it is but it seems to have atmosphere, plenty of room although this year with 26,000 people thru the doors in the 3 days it did feel a bit pushed at times but I think Lew Rex and his team do a marvelous job of organising it.

I'm at the Midlands show at Leamington / Warwick or whatever it gets called this year from the Friday to the Tuesday,
Friday to Sunday on the Arc stand and on Monday / Tuesday in the CNC workshop or round about.

Best day for the Midlands show is the Saturday. Friday is hectic as most of the punters are retired and get there Friday to miss the screaming kids over a week end and get the bargains, doesn't work that way though because there are no screaming kids over a weekend and the rush means no one has time to talk and advise.
Plus it's full of wheel chairs and fat bastards with haversacks knocking your head off
Saturday and Sunday is more civilised. Monday gets busy again as many clubs run coach trips on the Monday and Tuesday is a tailing down day with the prize giving in the afternoon.

If anyone wants anything ring the supplier up and ask them to take it to the show so you save postage.
All the big ones are there, Warco, Chester, RDG, Chronos, Arc, Hemmingway, Tracy Tools, J B Cutting tools, Rotagrip, Home & Garden, L A services plus others.
sorry if I have missed any, it's not intentional.

Ralph ...... ooops, ...... Grumpy :D

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it mate :mad: ... hopefully the weekend wasn't a total loss, just as shame you probably spent more time driving there and back than actually at the show ???

Don't worry the next one will be better, or ........... well at least you'll have company to complain to ;D :big: ;D

anyway, bring on the photo's and let's see what you had to suffer, and ............ what did you buy ;)

CC

CC.... Don't get me started on the damn roads.... 4 hours on the M6 in one spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

and didn't get home till 3am!

still did buy some supplies, didn't go mad though.... Couldn't, there wasn't enough on offer!! only spent £60! had a bit more than that saved up!

John, I will still give the Midlands one a chance, at least if there are a few of us there it could be a bit more fun :)
Aiming at the Saturday for the show myself, will have to identify ourselves before hand.... or just aim to meet at Johns Arc Euro stand at a reasonable hour?!? we will see what the others want to do ehh?

Going to bed now... my head hurts from sleep deprivation!

Still grumpy, Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

I did manage to get to Ascot and you are right there were not that many suppliers to charm the cash out of my pocket, there were a few little gems on display though and as my first experience of a larger show it was ok... I have made a note to self not to let any of the in-laws know when the next show is on though as they were a nightmare to get organised. So hopefully will be flying solo for the midlands show.

Anyway congratulations to Jaguarb (on this board) for getting a gold for his Liney machine Halo 5, very nice it was too.

Are you posting pics in this thread or starting afresh Ralph? I took a few but I'm no David Bailey.

David

Latest posts

Back