Minor gloat

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
This is why I go to the local library book sales...

MH24.jpg

$3.00 in as-new condition, no fingerprints or oilstains.

Over the years, I've found at least half a dozen MHs of various vintages and never paid more than $5 for one. I've also collected a number of other machining and engineering texts for just a few beer tokens.

If I had been so lucky...................MAJOR gloat ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Yep, nice one! I only paid $5 for my copy, but it's getting a bit ratty now.

I really do envy you Marv.

I used to be able to get around to book sales and car boot sales. In the early days, you could pick up a whole series of volumes for a few pounds. I love the very early books, every technique you want to know is contained within.

Unfortunately, storage space is my problem now and I can't get any more in my shop, so I tend to use purely electronic versions if available, and print out the pages I am interested in to take into the shop. What would normally take up half my workshop now just sits in a folder on a hard drive.

John

FYI some colleges Use the Machineries Handbook as a text. And most students dump there text books cheap at the end of semester . So if you are near a tech school you may be able to get the latest edition cheap from a student.
tin

I've followed Marv's advice for a few years now and every time I'm in a used book shop or at the local library sale, check for MH copies. I have 3 now :D (well, I gave one to dad), so I guess I have two. I think I had to pay $7.50 for a like-new 25th ed though...

I remember those...what did they call them...books? A lot of pressed pulp, stamped with ink, sewed together and put into a stiff cardboard sandwich. Can you scan the contents and send them to me so I can load them into my Kindle Fire? (when I get it)

I have MH on my Kindle as well, but it's really not as useful as a paper copy to me.

I hear ya, that's why I mentioned the Kindle Fire. It should be much better at displaying illustrations and pics than the previous versions.

Here in England you'd be called a "Jammy Git" :big:

Vic.

Troutsqueezer said:
I hear ya, that's why I mentioned the Kindle Fire. It should be much better at displaying illustrations and pics than the previous versions.
Only if it will do good pinch zooming on PDFs, which the regular Kindles don't do well.

On the plus side, the screen resolution is good enough that you can put on a pair of Optivisors and read nearly invisibly small text and drawings on it.

Latest posts

Back