Microscope resolutions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

student123

Reaction score
Anyone knowledgeable about microscopes...?

I don’t know much about microscopes & am looking to get one.
the fundamental choice seems to be between an 'old style' compound and a new style digital.

for example these 2:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EN6G8M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Bresser-opticalLCD-microscope-kit.html

I understand on a compound the overall magnification is objective lense x eyepiece lens, so I can compare the two types on that basis.

but how about resolution ...does (e.g.) a 2 mega pixel give better resolution than a x100 objective lens microscope?
(Cant readily find answer to this via google).

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, an "old-style" microscope has an infinite "resolution" in theory, as it's not limited by pixels on a chip capuring the image, but purely by how fine your eye can see.
The magnification factor is independent of resolution - except where "digital magnification" is used ( the same as digital zoom on some cameras).

The digital one has the advantage that you don't have to sit poring into two eyepieces - you just view the object under magnification on your PC screen or on it's own built-in screen - and its easier to capture photos and even video straight to your PC.
With a traditional microscope you have to buy or make some kind of mounting for a camera to fit it.

So its basically down to what you want to use it for; if you want to look at objects in extreme detail without any pixellation, then a traditional one is better. If you don't mind slight pixellation then a digital unit might be the better choice purely for ease-of-use.

Regards, Arnold

Arnold,

Thanks for the reply. I've now gone to the tack of looking at images taken usng ccd array microscopes to get a feel for this.

Mike

Thanks also in advance for any other replies on this.

Latest posts

Back