Magnetic base welding helpers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rog02

I frequently weld/braze/solder small pieces and the set ups can be more time consuming than the actual joining. I purchased a Hoorible Fright dial indicator and magnetic base and was rather impressed by the base. It has surprising holding power and the switchable magnet made it simple to reposition.

About the same time I was working on a memorial bronze lilly for a client and the idea dawned on me to use the magnetic base and a spring clamp to hold the pedals in position for the welding.

If you catch the bases on sale the entire thing ends up costing around $11.00 USD per unit to put together.

WeldingClamp4.jpg

Remember; Your mileage may vary, Batteries are not included, Salesmen may call, Tax,registration, and title fees are extra, and If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces!

Those would come in handy for a lot of what I do in other hobbies.

Added to my list of things to do.

Thanks Roger!

Eric

I have a set of the Radio Shack "helping hands" that see regular use in my shop. I haven't thought of this trick, and it is certainly more adaptive that the Rat Shack stuff is! Thanks for sharing.

wareagle said:
I have a set of the Radio Shack "helping hands" that see regular use in my shop. I haven't thought of this trick, and it is certainly more adaptive that the Rat Shack stuff is! Thanks for sharing.

I have a set of those and use them extensively when i solder electronics... However, I think these to be a better solution for me. Gonna give em a try!

Great Idea!!! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to make a set of those.

Wes

Latest posts

Back